hahahaha... You went to the suburban area that's why that happen. If you hang out in the big cities locals don't treat foreigners like that. Every time I get outside of the city and visit a suburban or urban area I feel like I'm a celebrity. Everybody stops you and asks for a picture because they rarely see a foreigner go through their town. That's one thing I like about China.

The reason I'm in China is that I applied for a study abroad program in the U.S. to learn Chinese. Now when I'm staying longer and looking for job I'm worried about my hair. There are so many salons and I don't want to come out having an Asian haircut. I know it's only hair and it will grow back. Curly hair takes a long time to grow out.
Originally Posted by czulsk
Hi czulsk,

Hope all is well in China! When I have been abroad, even when living in other remote countries, I have been very careful as to who touches my hair. I have had a few interesting experiences and find that hairstylists, regardless of language, like to understand what they want and not what we want.

As you say, curly hair takes a long time to grow so why not, depending on the length of your stay in China, take this time to let your curls grow? Your curls look good and I am willing to bet that a long style would suit you, so long as you keep it neat.

On the other hand, if you want to get a haircut, my experience has been that telling the hairdresser to only trim with scissors about half an inch allround works. Make sure to use your hands and fingers to tell him/her where exactly you want the trim to be!

Hope that helped.

All the best.
Pioneering the lifestyle for men with curly hair, one curl at a time.

Feel free to check my blog and contact me through there too.