View Single Post
Old 02-10-2012, 03:12 PM   #11
caramix3a

Default High cholesterol?

First line of defense, take a good look at your diet, and exercise(particularly plenty of cardio). If one's high cholesterol is going to respond to diet, there are two types of people, those who respond by lowering their carbs rather than saturated fats, and those who respond by lowering their saturated fats and calories in general. For a very long time now the party line has been to lower saturated fats, and while that might work in some people, it does NOT work in all. Just like some people thrive on high-protein, higher fat diets, while others don't feel right or get to a normal weight and good blood numbers without lowering their fats and keeping protein to lighter forms only, while eating unrefined carbs.
On the exercise front, while weight lifting is excellent for lots of stuff, it's really getting in enough cardio to make a difference, to the tune of 45-60 minutes, 5 days a week. That will get the HDL up, which is what you want, and lower the troublemaking LDL. The size of the particles of LDL also matter - if one has what they call "small-particle LDL" one is at greater risk of heart attack than someone of the same reading who has larger particles. How they measure that aspect, I don't know.
There are some good cholesterol supplements, most notably red yeast rice, which the Chinese have used for a long time. It's a natural form of statins and better tolerated than the ones that the doc is so eager to hand out to people who even have the slightest bit of high cholesterol. Keep in mind that the normal measurements for both cholesterol and blood sugar(they're related)have actually been lowered. For instance, no one was considered to have high cholesterol until it got to 250, now 220 is considered borderline high, and they really prefer one to have it well under 200 now for a "normal" reading. Similar with blood sugar. It wasn't even considered pre-diabetic until one got to 125, now it's 100, which puts a lot more people into the "pre-diabetic" category so Big Pharma can make more money off of medications. Same with the "high cholesterol". If anything, I'd try the diet, supplementation and exercise route first and note what happens within a few months.
Then, for some people, it truly is hereditary - look around your family, ask them what their cholesterol is. If everyone seems to have it on the high side despite a healthy lifestyle, it's hereditary, and depending on just how high it is, then, one might indeed have to have medication. For some people, it's the only way. I'd try other stuff first though if my situation wasn't that dire.
Last but not least, in the hormonal shifts of menopause, the dropping of estrogen levels often results in an increase in both cholesterol and blood sugar, even in women who previously had low readings. This happened to me personally, with a borderline high cholesterol reading and just on the edge of being pre-diabetic, despite a very healthy lifestyle.
All food for thought here, and best of luck!
caramix3a is offline   Reply With Quote