I live in the South...South Florida, to be specific.
I know that some people might disagree with me, but there is a lot of discrimination in Miami. It isn't always out in the open, but it's there.

It looks like a melting pot of races/cultures, but the racism manifests itself in different ways. I don't want to threadjack and move off topic, so I can't really elaborate on that at the moment. I just know that in my experience, the texture of my hair often causes people to respond negatively or to discriminate, although it has been relaxed since I was 11 years old.

That's why I'm switching to natural. By embracing my natural kinky curls, I'm giving the one-finger salute to everyone who says that tightly coiled hair is "ugly" or "bad".
Originally Posted by curlyhoneyb
I've heard of Florida in general being racist. I mean it's the south ya know. But that won't stop me from going to disneyworld damn it lol. But these all just goes back to people being stupid in general. Why tease or hate someone because they're hair is different or if they're skin tone is a lil warmer. It's pointless. Rock your hair natural 😉
Originally Posted by Nikki3b
ITA. I know it happens almost everywhere, but I notice it here because this is where I've lived all my life. Dominican salons make $$$ because everyone and their mama wants bone-straight hair. Plus, my skin is very light so the texture of my hair confuses folks. They don't understand the concept of diversity with black people and people of mixed race...we come in all colors and textures. I actually had somebody say, "You're white, so why do you have nappy hair?" I guess they didn't know it was possible that an "ethnic" person could be as fair-skinned as a white person, or that some Black people have naturally silky hair.

I feel for all of the ladies who have been subjected to ignorant comments about their hair, skin, and other features. You are all beautiful.