Did you follow IAGirl's PT with some kind of conditioner/moisture? Because it's homemade, it doesn't have all the fancy ingredients like Aphogee to keep hair soft, so unless you add a lot of oil and conditioner to it, you probably need to follow with moisture. (if it really is an issue with gelatin protein, Aphogee won't work either- IAGirl's recipe is sdesigned to be like Aphogee minus the strong smell) In addition to Effective Care, ION also has a Reconstructor, which is a bit lighter on moisture (I actually use it as a co-wash). Effective Care is technically a protein-rich conditioner; Reconstructor is their actual PT product.

My hair can't get enough protein, so I do the IAGirl PT (followed by DT) once a week and use the ION Reconstructor (with Effective Care as my RO) at least one or two other days during the week (I cleanse my hair almost daily).

Modified CG since 11/5/11
CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel