I think my hair needs protein, but I'm not sure how much. It also needs lots of moisture. I have done one homemade PT (it was interesting) and I noticed a HUGE difference in the texture and feeling of my hair (especially my underneath layers). And that's really about it. I have no clue how much protein my hair actually needs vs. how much moisture it needs. I know I need a pretty good amount of moisture. though.

My question(s): What type of proteins are best to look for in products?

I currently have KCCC, Devacurl, shea moisture shea butter masque, Renpure conditioners (red and green bottles), TN, GFTN, BioInfusion conditiong balm, JC revitalizing leave in conditioner, organix moroccon (sp?) curl perfection defining cream, organix coconut milk weightless mousse, HETMS mousse, HETT gel, LALSG, one n' only Argan Oil volume mousse, l'oreal eversleek smoothing cream, and that's all I can think of at the moment.

How often should you use a PT and products with protein?

How can you tell if you get too much protein?
Originally Posted by beeduh
I read that hydrolized proteins are the best to look for, as they actually bind to the hair shaft. Nature's Gate conditioners have hydrolized proteins, and they work very well as a pt...at least for me.

I'd say to do a pt every 6 weeks or so. You'll know that you've had too much protein when, even after doing a moisturizing treatment, your hair feels brittle and straw-like.
20 y/o lifelong natural {4a-O ; spongy ; coarse ; dense ; ~MBL stretched (2 inches from WL)}

products {'poo: TJTTT shampoo | RO: TJTTT Condish | LI/style: TJTTT Condish, SM Manuka Conditioner, homemade cocoa butter cream | DC: condish + ayurvedic powder(s), SM Manuka Mask | PT: condish + NPF | oils: castor oil, grapeseed oil | other treatments: probiotics, tea rinses, AVG rinse/spritz, oil rinse | sealing method: LOCO}

long-term: HL stretched, BSL unstretched

CG-friendly Products List!