I put ginger in my water kefir (different from milk kefir) fermentation brew. I consider it to be a ginger "beer". It is indeed naturally carbonated, and probably contains a little alcohol. I think it's fantastic. So refreshing and so healthy. I'll share the recipe, just in case you're interested...

1/4 cup to 1/2 cup active and healthy water kefir grains
3/4 cup sugar
1 lemon, halved
1 dried fig, whole
1/2 cup to 1 cup fresh ginger, peeled and sliced thin
1/2 gallon water, preferably non-chlorinated

Put all ingredients in a glass container with a loose lid, and allow to stand at room temperature for 2 days.

Strain through sieve, and put all solids into a clean glass container with 3/4 cup sugar and a 1/2 gallon of water, to make the next batch. Squeeze the lemon juice into the strained liquid and put the rind into the next batch, along with a new halved lemon.

To the strained liquid, add 2 cups of strongly brewed green or white tea, and 1/4 cup of blueberry or cherry concentrate. Fresh or frozen raspberies work great too. Refrigerate and enjoy your anti-oxidant pro-biotic power drink. I often add a cup of strong-brewed nettle tea, for the vitamins.

I re-use the ginger/lemons/fig several times. When they start to look limp or my beer is tasting not as strong as I like, then I replace them.