You are going to have to tell eventually. Why not ask the principal why she feels that way? When are you due? Is she worried because of backlash from needing a sub for so long while you're in maternity leave? I ask because this was an issue when my DD was in fourth grade.

ETA. It wasn't an issue for me but was for a lot of other parents. One of the 4th grade teachers (not hers) was pregnant and her maternity leave was 3 months in the middle of the school year. In that time her class had 2 or 3 substitutes. A lot of parents complained that it was hard on their kids. I don't know. I'm not going to tell a woman when she can or can't have a baby. It would have been a non-issue at most other jobs. I'm wondering if this is something your principal has experienced before.

Whatever her reasoning she is being inappropriate with you. I agree that talking to a union rep might be the best way to proceed.

My fat thumb will make mistakes.
High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Last edited by Jess the Mess; 03-20-2012 at 12:52 PM.