Old 03-23-2012, 08:54 PM   #8488
sweetmx85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinky DaySha View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmx85 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinky DaySha View Post

Ok...keep in mind that I am a minimalist (partially because I work in a doctor's office and see people overreact all the time).

If you took your baby in already and they have him on antibiotics, they usually take about 24 to 48 hrs to start working. Until then, all you can do is manage his symptoms. Fever reducer. Keep him hydrated. He will be tired, his body is fighting and needs all of his energy reserves for that fight, so he won't be running around. If his fever won't come down even with a fever reducer - worry. If he is unresponsive - worry. Try giving him spoonfuls of water or pedialyte to keep him hydrated, like 1 tbsp every 10-20 mins. If he won't take that and he isn't having any wet diapers - worry.

Now don't get me wrong, worrying is not bad. I have my own kids, and truth is even though I know all of this, I worry when my kids are sick. If you have a doctors office that has an on call service, try calling them for advice before you take him in. They can sometimes give you advice and little tips to keep yourself sane. But the ER is for emergencies and if he is already being treated, the ER won't do anything but take up your time and theirs, and potentially expose you to more serious stuff(eww).

Hugs to you and your baby.
nothing was accomplished there. we were there what felt like forever they did the same thing the drs office did and said keep him on his antibiotic gave him motrin and discharged us next time ill know
Aww...I wish I had caught you before you went. He will improve over time. Just give him as much mommylove as possible. And do what everyone here has been saying. But I stand by what I said. Things to worry about : Fever not going down with meds, no wet diapers(means he's dehydrated), unresponsive. Just hang in there. You'll do fine, but unfortunately you're probably in for a long night. And it probably won't be the last time. That's the hard part of being a parent, seeing your kids suffer. Sorry.
thank you ill look out for those things. he was up all nightast night and even though he slept a lot today i couldnt im exhausted now. i hope he sleeps through the night. my belly feels so tight now i need rest. he is a little more active right now though than he has been all day. the motrin they gave him helped him. it was odd though be ause it seemed like there was a lot in there little dispenser but the motrin we have here says he only gets 1 tsp cause he just turned 2 and hes 27 lbs. it looked like a drip compared to what the hospital gave him.

my tumblr natural inspirations and beauty: http://sophiams85.tumblr.com/

sweetmx85 is offline   Reply With Quote