It seems to me some biracial people who dont want to choose one race or the other (which I dont think they should have to) have created a backlash against biracial people who CHOOSE to identify themselves as one race. I have many friends who are black and something else but they consider themselves black. And i have many filipino and white friends who say they are filipino. It is their perogative and nothing to do with denying their heritage.
I had a coworker who is black say something about my race recently and I said I am black. He said I must be mixed with something because of my hair. I said nothing but was offended. If I say im black then Im black. Just because I have light skin and freckles doesnt compel me to have to self identify as mixed race as some people on here suggest.
Originally Posted by adthomas
I can identify with this, because, I too, identify as a black woman. So, for those, who don't feel that we should be offended, because we "obviously look mixed", it is an insult to our blackness. It is, as if, to say that a black person cannot be light skinned or have curly or long hair. As least, for me, that is what goes through my mind. Likewise, when I hear "well you're only half", it is to deny my blackness. I am aware that I'm mixed, that I'm in fact also half-white, but I do not feel white at all. I walk through life as a black woman, and don't you dare try to take that away from me, for it is not an easy way to walk through life to begin with. With that said, we've taken the conversation away from hair to race. But, I understand how others may not or do not mean it offensively, as I certainly mean no harm when I ask people what their ethnicity is. I suppose we all are sensitive to different things.