When I was in HS and got into a top ten university via early decision, this guy I had known since elementary school and we used to compete with each other about grades (like, we would make fun of the other if they got a 99 on a test when our score was a 104 - yes, we were that nerdy) told me that I only got in because of affirmative action because one of our other good friends (a white girl) didn't get in and we had similar GPAs and test scores. We're still cool, but I'll never forget that he said that. It was a shining moment like, "Yep, thanks. I see how it is."
Originally Posted by CurlyElectra
Similar things have happened to me basically all of my academic career. When I got into an exclusive magnet high school in my city, when I got into a 5-week scholars program, when I got a scholarship to college...and many others. Each time there was someone around to basically say that I only got it because of my race when I KNOW that I worked hard to get where I am.

Another time one of my friends was complaining that she didn't into a certain pre-med scholars program because they needed to pick Indians to help with diversity. I still think about her comment all the time. She didn't for one second stop to think that maybe all those "Indians" that were picked for the program were just better applicants than she was. There was no way that the reason they were picked was that they were better, in her opinion. Ughhh

Maybe it's a coping mechanism to deal with their own rejection????
But then that's just an excuse...
Originally Posted by greenjumper
Yep, people use the aff action accusation as an excuse for being an underachieving slacker. Whenever confronted with that bullisht, I laughed and kept it moving. See, because no matter what they say to you, you did it (got in, got the scholly, etc.) and they didn't. Ha!

Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App
Originally Posted by Kilajo
I don't think they have to be an underachieving slacker - and that's the worst thing about it. In my situation, these people were in my AP classes, with similar grades, and were supposed to be smart enough to "know better." They knew me, they knew my achievements, they knew how hard I studied. Hell, we were all in NHS together and part of student council, and shared several EC activities. That was the part that hurt me - this wasn't some ignorant redneck complaining about black folks achieving - these were my peers since I was seven years old, and all my life, I had considered us equal. And then, at the end of the day, I was just another ni**er. Reality check. Point - society.

But yes, @greenjumper, it's certainly a coping mechanism - but a racist one.

Oh and the WORST part (for me) is that growing up my father would always tell me to watch myself around white people (him being a "token" in his field, to this day) and that they will smile in your face and stab you in the back, and I'd reply, "Daddy, it's not the 50s anymore. My friends aren't like that - we're all just friends, it doesn't matter what color I am, it's 2000." (I had a diverse group of HS friends too) HAH I was so damn wrong! Lesson learned.
People should be willing to stand by the things they say. Or they shouldn't say them. If your opinion can't stand in the light of day...maybe it should stay in the dark...in your head?
- AmberBrown

Last edited by CurlyElectra; 04-11-2012 at 01:01 PM.