View Single Post
Old 04-12-2012, 07:33 AM   #1
nana_banana

Default Psoriasis on the scalp

This is for my mother who has very bad psoriasis on her scalp. She has tried medicated creams and shampoos from the doctor (prescription and OTC). She has tried natural stuff from the health shops. Right now, she is doing a regimen from a naturopath doctor (a specially formulated hair oil as well as herbal medicines and supplements, including fish oil and zinc). Nothing appears to be working but the natural hair oil is the best solution she has found yet, although it's not foolproof.

Her natural hair texture is probably a 2C with a bit of 3A, maybe? Her hair is dense, her individual strands are thick, and her hair is coarse in texture. She gets weekly blow outs to straighten her hair and she colors it frequently to cover up greys. Occasionally, she will wear her hair naturally wavy/curly but she prefers it straightened for a variety of reasons (mostly so she doesn't have to "do" her hair every morning when it's straight). And she is 46 years old and not going through full menopause but has some menopausal symptoms like heat flashes and wonky periods.

I've told her it's the heat that could be making her psoriasis worse. She doesn't believe me and says her stylist says it shouldn't matter. Of course her stylist isn't going to say heat is making her scalp worse! He's getting a steady, weekly client...

Healing herself from the inside in would probably be the best. She's toying with the idea of giving up wheat but I think she should get tested for a wheat allergy before eliminating wheat all together.

Any ideas?

nana_banana is offline   Reply With Quote