Old 02-28-2005, 11:55 AM   #22
Ambrosia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambrosia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Me?
I actually wrote a paper on this subject once. The two issues do not align like you (general "you") think they might at all. It was an interesting paper to research.
just curious, how do the issues actually align?
As soon as I posted I was thinking that I really shouldn't have said that since I can't remember the details of the paper! It was a few years ago. The basis was that one would expect that people are either pro-death or pro-life, as in support the death penalty and abortion, or are against the death penalty and abortion. This was not the case. I think the majority of people who are pro-choice are against the death penalty. I wish I could remember all the reasons--they weren't situated on moral beliefs nearly as much as other factors. I'll see if I can find the paper when I get home. I definitely think it was the most interesting paper I've ever written.
just my non-researched opinion, but i would expect the results to come out as you said they did. i always thought the issue to be less of a stance on whether to implement death (or not), and more of a stance on the role of the law. for example, social liberals, may advocate less intervention of the the law: the law cannot/should not make a decision on life/death, hence pro-choice and against death penalty. on the other hand, social conservatives would advocate the law to intervene when it seems necessary, hence pro-life and for death penalty.

...less to do with a stance on death and more to do with a stance on the role of the law.

im sure there are moral components too, but youre right, they way the tendencies fall, they dont seem to align so obviously on a moral plane.

...interesting paper topic.
Ambrosia is offline   Reply With Quote