View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 11:29 AM   #54
NetG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saria View Post
This thread has made me remember the observation of a rule people have for no reason. So many times now I've heard:
"You know, I usually don't like fruit and meat together, but this is really delicious."
Heard from so many different people! Seriously, it's a popular one, and yet without fail it's uttered as the person is eating up a dish featuring the combo. I recently heard it again when we were tasting our new duck plate which features an apricot-orange purée.
I rarely like them because they are done poorly more often than they are done well.

I don't have the knowledge to be as picky as Saria, but I basically just detest poorly made food. I'm not a fan of grease, and often find even expensive restaurants rely on fat instead of quality ingredients and preparation. It just tastes repulsive to me.

I'm not afraid of fat or sugar where they belong, but people overdo it to make up for lack of seasoning or skill. I claim to hate fried foods, but in reality I hate poorly fried foods. Fresh, crispy, not oozing grease? Yum!

I don't care if it's simple diner food or fancy and super expensive - I care if it's well done.

As for my quirks - I also don't like my food touching. If foods are mixed together as part of a dish, that's fine. They are intended to touch! But if they are two separate items, they are intended to be tasted separately, not together. I want to taste the flavor of each alone.

In some cases foods taste better mixed than alone, of course, but I still want to taste them separately if they are served as separate items.

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
NetG is offline   Reply With Quote