Yes, voicing his support was a calculated move done to help increase his support among his base, which is not the religious, middle-of-the-road, conservative voters, but his young and left-wing voters. Polls say that he has lost some support among these voters and that his strategists are having him focus on "symbolic" issues to win them over that won't call for him having to actually create any legislation.

From here: https://www.commondreams.org/view/2012/04/18-7

I do think it would be abominable for a president not to voice support for marriage equality or to support but remain silent about it. However, he's not going to do anything about this. It's actually rather safe for him to say he supports this as it's an issue decided on the state level, not one under his jurisdiction anyway.
Originally Posted by diaspora
Got to say I can't believe that's true, but if it is, it means Team Obama is in major danger. He absolutely can't afford to lose anyone in his base. At the same time I'm sorry but Obama can't afford for more than a second of his time to go to keeping young and left-wing voters. If he doesn't already have them he's already screwed. It's all about moving to the middle if he wants to win and gay marriage is waaay more than a symbolic issue for the middle.
Originally Posted by NorahBugg
... I ...

Okay, the people for whom gay marriage is more than a symbolic issue are those of us who might want to get one someday.

For him to abandon us in order to win reelection would be an awful move and I think I might even be more upset to think that was happening than to see Romney win. If we've got a Democrat as a President who won't do anything differently than any given Republican because he's trying to appease Congress and the electorate, what's the point?

Statistics have shown that support for marriage equality is increasing, rapidly and dramatically. Even if he loses in November, ultimately, that's where we're clearly headed, and he is doing the right thing by standing on the side of equality.
2a/b (really thick but sort of fine with pretty weak waves), medium-to-fine texture, normal porosity (I think). Doesn't seem to like protein.

Favorite products: Kinky-Curly Knot Today, Kinky-Curly Curling Custard, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Curl Junkie Curl Rehab, Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Smoothing Lotion, Shea Moisture Curl and Style Milk, homemade flaxseed gel.

Still looking for a cleanser I like.

Last edited by amandamarie; 05-10-2012 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Removed a paragraph that got a little personal.