Last year, I was fired from my job. I waited 6 months, and started to collect employment and was granted it. Recently, I needed a separation letter from the company for financial purposes...well, to collect an insurance benefit on debt. The company knew what the letter was for, and that they need not go into much detail. It was their policy for me to not see the letter, but the financial institution to whom it was sent read it to me.

Fast forward, my benefit was erroneously denied. I say erroneously because I was involuntarily unemployed via being fired (ie I was called and told not to come in to work anymore, and I had to pick up my belongings in a box at a separate location). The company I worked for wrote in the letter that I submitted my resignation because I was having trouble with people at work and ended my employment at my own accord. When I found out about the letter, I called the company for whom I worked and they confirmed what they had written, but also said that they had no proof of resignation.

Do you think that I will have to pay back my unemployment benefits? I don't see how the company I worked for could tell two organizations two different things. Also, what recourse do I have for the financial benefit denial? I have already contacted a lawyer about my obligations via unemployment.