"Grossly exaggerate" isn't tolerated.
Originally Posted by journotraveler
I'm sorry, but this is demonstrably untrue. Even if the distortion isn't intended, it still happens all the time. Probably every single issue.

News media, even highly respected shows and publications, constantly regurgitate unchecked "facts" and turn "no statistically significant difference" into "LOOK AT THIS HUGE DIFFERENCE." Or they focus on researchers who are hacks: fearmongering, offering quack remedies, or skewing data to reaffirm stereotypes.

I know that you work as a journalist, and I'm not targeting you. But it's a real problem that really frustrates me.
Originally Posted by Eilonwy
Seriously? Every single time, and you can demonstrate this? There are journalists who cover science, who have science degrees or medical degrees themselves, like NPR's Shankar Vedantam and the NYT's William Broad, who take accurate reporting about science very seriously.

I'm not trying to pick a fight with you, so let's just agree to disagree. I don't want to derail the thread. I just really hate when people make sweeping, blanket statements about the media like we're all cynical manipulators out to distort the news/information.

ETA: Jennifer Kahn, the author of the article in question, has a degree in astrophysics.
3B corkscrews with scatterings of 3A & 3C.

Last edited by journotraveler; 05-15-2012 at 09:39 AM.