"Grossly exaggerate" isn't tolerated.
Originally Posted by journotraveler
I'm sorry, but this is demonstrably untrue. Even if the distortion isn't intended, it still happens all the time. Probably every single issue.
Originally Posted by Eilonwy
Seriously? Every single time, and you can demonstrate this?
I was saying that it's demonstrably true that gross exaggerations of research findings are tolerated. Then I switched to a statement that I can't, of course, demonstrate or prove. I guess I didn't phrase that well.

I just really hate when people make sweeping, blanket statements about the media like we're all cynical manipulators out to distort the news/information.
Journotraveler, I don't think of journalists as cynical manipulators And I think you have every right to feel frustrated by blanket statements to that effect. At the same time, I do see serious problems with the way non-academic media present research. But, although I recognize those problems, I don't think that journalists are hacks. It's like how I think there are serious problems with the way the doctor-patient relationship is constructed, but I don't distrust doctors.

ETA: Jennifer Kahn, the author of the article in question, has a degree in astrophysics.
Well, I don't have any particular quarrel with the article from the OP. But a degree in astrophysics doesn't qualify her to interpret research related to psychology. I have degrees too, and they don't mean that I'm qualified to interpret astrophysics research. See, that's one of the problems I'm talking about. A person really needs to have expertise in a field in order to properly evaluate the research that comes out of it. Sure, I can read through an astrophysics journal, and look up all the unfamiliar math and definitions. But I still won't really understand what I've read. I won't understand what the results actually are, I won't understand what they mean for the field, and I won't be able to evaluate their legitimacy or the way the study was designed.

Last edited by Eilonwy; 05-15-2012 at 10:02 AM.