View Single Post
Old 05-21-2012, 12:11 AM   #18
caramix3a

Default Almost 38 need skin care advice

JLeighs - fantastic that you found the missing link for your skin situation. I'm sure there are others who benefit too. Actually, I do know one person who had on and off psoriasis ever since she was in her late teens, and seriously, the sun did her good. She lives in Hawaii now, so that's easy to do, plus she has a brown skin tone to begin with.
I must say I have to agree with you about the suncare thing being over-hyped, and the fear of God put into people so that they willingly coat themselves daily with questionable sunblocks that come with their own problems, like xenoestrogens, the chemicals that act as hormone disruptors, for instance. People can say all they want about sunblocks being totally safe, as well as certain industrial-strength treatments, but alternative practitioners often say that the skin is a lot more permeable than we think with up to 60% of what we apply to our skins eventually ends up in our blood streams. They routinely advise avoiding commercial skin care and body products in general and advocate basic simple care with plain natural products.
The correct amounts of sunblock advocated by dermatologists is truly staggering. One well-known female dermatologist says that one should apply enough sunblock to the entire body before heading out, such that one would leave a big grease stain on a plastic chair. One recently even recommended applying it like one would frosting to a cupcake! Still others say that for 2 people going to the beach for the afternoon, that that 4-oz. bottle should only last one for just the one afternoon. You can see where this is going with the money that one would be spending, as well as the sheer assault of all this goop on the skin - yikes! Not awfully long ago, it was put out there that a family could expect to spend $1000 on sunblock for the summer. Equals big bucks for the industry!
caramix3a is offline   Reply With Quote