Vit E is not a preservative, it's an antioxidant and will extend the life of your product, but not a lot. GSE is controversial as to whether or not it's a preservative. If you search, you'll find that the "chemists" around here don't think so.

My hair likes the more natural products, but preservation is something I take seriously. I'll will use a synthetic preservative. Tinosan or potassium sorbate are newer on the market and considered natural preservatives.
Originally Posted by kathymack
Hi Kathymack.

Thanks for responding.

Would you mind giving me some examples of synthetic preservatives? Also, do you know where I could get my hands on some of these synthetic preservatives?

With regard to the natural preservatives, I have never heard of Tinosan but potassium sorbate is in KCCC. It's the second to the last ingredient so it would seem that she didn't use much. The ingredient right before potassium sorbate is citric acid which I would assume is possibly serving as a preservative of sorts as well?

Anyway, I bring up KCCC because my hair really loves this stuff but my wallet doesn't. LOL! This is what pushed me to start experimenting with FSG and because my hair seems to hate all non-natural gels. Period. Even some of the other natural gels out there (i.e. KMFUM gel and 100% AVG) my hair is not too fond of. With the FSG, I can add ingredients to it that I know my hair likes and it's much more cost effective with regard to this weekly habit I have of using gel in my tresses to help control frizz. (Imagine that!)

In any case, I too take preservation very seriously. No way do I want to wind up with some sort of scalp infection so that's why I love that I have this site as a resource to help me along as I try to figure all of this out.

Again, thanks for your response.

Ciao!

Oh, also a few more things...
Do you know where I could get Tinosan or potassium sorbate? Are those ingredients that you can find on the ground or do you have to order them online? Is it better to err on the side of caution and put alot of these preservatives in the product or just minute amounts? Sorry for all the questions, like I said, I'm just trying to learn and get it right.
Me Fascina El Pelo

Low Porosity; Medium Strands; Dense