I'm mixed too (black and white). No one in my family had a clue how to take care of my hair so they pretty much used harsh products on it, combed it a whole lot (and dry), pulled at it, then eventually, relaxed it when I was really little. I BC'ed at around 8, then when I had a really big curly afro, my mum got my hair relaxed again and I had my hair relaxed whenever there was a whiff of new growth till a few days before my 14th birthday, when I decided to go natural (I'm 15 now). I had no clue what my natural hair felt or looked like and pics weren't good enough. Plus, I didn't have enough pics with my natural hair.
ANYWAYS, I have about the closest to the tightest curl pattern I have seen on any other mixed race girl. I have a bit of 3c, some 4a, 4b and 4c. I have noticed that my curls, however, are WAY different from the curls full blacks have and also WAY different from the curls curlyhaired full whites have, so I don't really treat my hair exactly how any race would. Instead, I try to look for what works for my hair. HOWEVER, I think that if you want to see a hair stylist, or you just want to buy some product for you hair, you should opt for products for people with mixed or fully-black hair and go to black salons because believe they should be more experienced with kinky or curly hair (but loads aren't, I'm sorry to say), or opt for products that have the word 'curly' on them.
By the way, I'm CG. My hair has looked and felt so much better since I went CG. Maybe you should try that too.

Okay! here's what I do:
1. I wash my hair with my homemade scalp cleansers, scrubs, conditioners...

2. Sometimes, about 2-3 times a month, after washing, I get a bit of my oil mix, never more than a 1p to 50p coin size, onto my hands, rub it together between my palms and work it into my hair then get about a 1p coin size of shea butter and then work that into my hair too. Note that I'm doing all this on wet to damp hair.

3. I always air dry.

4. Sometimes, I get my hair in twists, twists and bantu knots, rope twists and bantu knots, or just bantu knots till my hair dries.

5. Low maintenance is the key.

6. I try to keep my hands out of my hair as much as possible.

7. I always deep condition overnight on Fridays (and wash on Saturdays).

8. I have my hair in braids for 5 days every week.

9. When my hair's not in braids, it's usually in a bun or puff.

10. When I'm going for a run, I leave my hair out, but I hold it away from my face and neck with a head band sorta thing. It's like a sweatband for the head, but not really.

11. I use bottled water on my hair as I consider tap a tad bit too hard. Plus, from the first week I tried bottled water, my hair has loved it, looked and felt a whole lot better.

12. I finger detangle my hair every Friday night (when I take my flat-braids down). Sometimes, I section my hair and get a wide toothed comb through each section to make sure they're all thoroughly detangled and all shed hair is removed.

13. I flat braid most of the time, my hair looks better and is less frizzy in that state, plus there's less manipulation.

14. I only use natural/organic products/things on my hair. For now, everything I use is homemade, but by summer, I'm going to stock up on BeeMine products because I know I'm going to be sooo busy from September till May (school - GCSEs...). I can recommend the BeeMine products to any mixed race or curly haired girl. I have seen great results in the hair of every girl I've seen that uses their products.

15. Always wrap your hair up with a satin scarf or bonnet before you sleep. Or you could just get satin sheets and a satin pillow case and sleep with those if you don't like things on your head or they fall off.

16. Curly hair longs for moisture so, a daily spritz of bottled or distilled water should help.

17. Hope this helped
Things I use: Olive Oil, Canola oil, rosemary oil, aloe vera gel, shea butter, mayonnaise, eggs, milk, bananas

Everything I use is 100% natural. I make most of them myself because then I'm sure what's in it and I'm sure nothing's added, it's pure, it's natural.

Things I avoid: Mineral oil (codename: Baby oil), heat (I'm a total, no hair driers, no straighteners, no curling irons, no flat irons, no hot combs...nada), sodium chloride

Growing plan: At least 6 inches longer in a year.