View Single Post
Old 06-20-2012, 08:46 PM   #24
QtBoutique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatcurls View Post
Actually, it was a relaxer being used as a texturizer.

In a nutshell, a co-worker, whose hair is natural shrinks at least up to 75% of its length, was ready to relax her shoulder length hair that same evening because of the shrinkage. After much discussion, I convinced her to get a texturizer and that I could apply it.

Before I did, I read the section in Lonnice Bonner's book, Good Hair, to make sure I did it correctly. I bought a relaxer and placed it on her hair. I talked to her while we waited, for about 20 minutes altogether (from applying-7 minutes to waiting). I think her hair may be low-porosity.

After shampooing and DC, her hair looked less frizzy and her curls (4b-4c--I still think it's curly!) were elongated. But, it still looked the same. A leave-in styling cream was placed on it, and after it was dry, her hair looked natural with elongation (wash-n-go).

Hopefully, as her hair grows the weight will lengthen her hair. It's interesting though: her hair grows quickly at slightly more than 1/2 inch per month and shrinks about 75-85% of its length. My hair grows slowly (less than 1/2 inch/month) and shrinks about 50% of its length.

I felt funny about doing it. But I looked at it as a transition because once she understood about hair length and the weight of the hair as it gets longer, she seemed to accept her natural hair. Perhaps she's on the road to being truly natural.

What are your thoughts?
I'm going to echo some of the earlier comments and say I'm confused by this thread. I don't see how this is a transition for your coworker because now her hair is all chemically treated. And I also don't think this can really possibly serve as a lesson about increased weight with increased length because, her hair length hasn't increased, it's just hanging longer. I don't see how she can accept her natural hair through this experience because she's no longer natural, she's texlaxed.

Also, you said her hair grows faster than average and it was only shoulder length when you relaxed it. I'm not sure if you meant shoulder length when stretched or shrunken, but if you meant stretched, I'm even more bothered by the fact that you relaxed it. That just shows that she hasn't been fully natural very long to begin with (I'm guessing somewhere around a year or so with her fast growth). If you wanted her to learn that length/weight comes with time, she should have actually put that time in. Impatience has caused many a natural to go back to the creamy crack and I feel like you enabled her to do so.

I get that shrinkage is a b*tch but it's part of the game. If that's not something your coworker is willing to deal with, maybe natural hair isn't for her at all. But I think you may be in slight denial if you think her chemically altered hair will have any correlation to, and therefore help her love, her completely virgin hair.

I hope this didn't come across mean or anything. Just sharing my thoughts.

Check out my YouTube channel! Please and thank you!
http://www.youtube.com/GeminiCurls

For more detailed info, here's the blog!
http://geminicurls.blogspot.com
QtBoutique is offline   Reply With Quote