I think I've only had one puppy who was able to fully "get it" before 6 months old. Others who've had more can chime in, but I thought he was exceptionally good rather than that the others were slow. So at 3 months, I wouldn't expect some sort of instant potty training.

If she's paper trained, why not have paper near the door, and slowly move it out the door so she learns to associate outside with where to go?

I've never crate trained, so can't give feedback on that. I would actually like to try it with my next dog.

ETA:
On Claudine's positive reinforcement encouragement: I once had a horse trainer tell me horses are always looking for the benefit of doing something. So if you reprimand them for something once but not always and they get a reward of being able to be lazy the times you don't, they'll just keep doing it. But if you reward them for doing the right thing, they will keep doing the right thing to seek the reward. I quickly discovered that applies to dogs (and humans!), too. Think of it as rewarding the positive and keep in mind you're teaching a non-human baby - and even potty training human babies can be hard!
The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
-Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!

Last edited by NetG; 06-26-2012 at 08:34 AM.