Old 06-26-2012, 09:36 PM   #32
nynaeve77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Like.Australia View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaeve77 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Like.Australia View Post

Maybe this is a stupid question, but how did you know better? My Christian-home-schooled co-worker said he honestly didn't have ANY exposure to evolution prior to going out on his own. I'm sure being in a regular school is different than homeschooling, but I still wonder.
I read a lot, and honestly, it just was too stupid to be believed. I have great parents who were very involved in my education and filled in a lot of the gaps my curriculum, plus they always encouraged me to be an independent learner. If something sounded wonky, I'd go read some library books to find out more. Unfortunately, a lot of people aren't so interested in educating themselves so they probably do believe that nonsense.
Ah. I think parents encouraging independent learning is huge. His parents kept him away from libraries, bookstores, etc. and he was done before the Internet was really widely available, so his only source was his parents, church, and the books they provided. He said his parents told him he couldn't go to regular school because other children were evil.
That's really sad. I knew many kids whose parents were like that, unfortunately. Most went in completely the opposite direction as soon as they were old enough, and who can blame them?

Intellectually repressing your kids is not a good thing. To me, it's much healthier to introduce your kids to controversial subjects in an environment where they feel safe enough to ask questions. Shutting them down and telling them they're bad for having any sort of curiosity about the world is ridiculous.
Password: orphanannie
nynaeve77 is offline   Reply With Quote