I've alway gotten lost in music, and love so many different genres, it's not even funny. Fortunately, between my older brothers and parents I was exposed to everything from Prince, The Beatles, Johnny Cash, Simon & Garfunkel, Zeppelin, Doors, Sam Cook, Frank Zappa, Tom Petty, Otis (who my dad had the fortune of seeing in a barn, in SC, before he shipped out to Vietnam), The Stones, David Bowie, The B-52's, Gladys, Jackson 5, I could go on and on... by age 4. My dad was also a bluegrass musician so I exposed to that, but it never fully took. I had my own high school, product of the 90's, faves. Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Tori Amos, Nine Inch Nails, etc... Looking back at age 14, I listened to radio often so I heard a great deal of pop. I was also insane about NKOTB. Many songs were fun to dance to, but I do remember Fast Car by Tracy Chapman and Wishing Well by Terence Trent D'arby giving me chills. I still love both those songs.
When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??