... you're going their way?

In other words, if you're in a group of people and someone's looking for a ride home, how do you feel about someone saying, "Oh, John, you drive right by Teresa's house. How about you bring her home?"

If someone asked you this would you care since you were going right by their house anyway or would you feel put out by someone assuming that it's not a problem for you?

For me, if I offer I'm obviously fine with it, but I don't want someone making that decision for me. Similarly, there was a woman I drove home quite often and would drop her off in Harvard Square to catch the T seeing as she lived on the other side of the city. I found out later that she was annoyed with me for this and felt like I should bring her the whole way home. So I stopped driving her all together.
Originally Posted by Springcurl
No, I don't think anyone should, but I always will. I don't even mind if someone has made that decision for me. I am more than happy to do something nice for someone else, simply because I have the luxury to be in that position. I have had more than my fair share of car woes, so if I'm going that way, sure, hop on in! I figure I'm doing my part of the "pay it forward" concept.

Yikes! That lady sounds like she has entitlement issues...

Now, when I'm in need of a ride, I do everything I can to make it convenient for the person doing the driving. The Mr. and I had only one car this past winter, so I occasionally asked for a ride from a coworker. She would have had to drive out of her way to pick me up, so I routinely walked 15 minutes to meet her at a location that is on her way.
- Seek first to understand, then to be understood.
- Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you.