I never really heard of "nappy" being used in a positive context except within natural hair communities and that has been very recent..like within the last 5 years.

But every since I can recall I've always heard the term "nappy" be used negatively. I honestly believe that is still how the majority of people see the term.

I also think there is a difference in the term "nappy" and "kinky". When I was growing up "nappy" meant hair that is very tangled and is uncombed and was always seen as bad. Kinky just meant hair that is either naturally tightly coiled or highly textured hair that isn't curly or wavy. Given, depending on the person the term "kinky" could be perceived as good or bad. But "nappy" was always negative period..didn't matter what kind of hair it was referring to at all.
Originally Posted by *Marah*
Yes. I know someone who got upset when I was explaining her hair grew out instead of down because it is kinky. She said "My hair is not kinky. That is just something white people made up to talk bad about our hair!!"
I apologized and told her I didnt consider kinky an offensive term. Now nappy I dont like. Real life people I know use it as derrogatory to mean unkempt hair.
"A life without fame can be a good life, but fame without a life is no life at all." - Clive Davis