Old 07-15-2012, 04:43 PM   #37
*Marah*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjarette View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Marah* View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjarette View Post
Well, the whole "tangled" issue is interesting too. Type 4 hair is prone to tangling...naturally. Why is that...bad? I don't comb my hair, unless it's to prep for a wash...so yeah, it's "uncombed" too. And....?

So, when folks say, "When I think nappy..I think tangled...", I think, "Yeah...and?" My hair is twisted now, but if I were wearing a twistout it would be tangled on some level, depending how long it had been worn out.

I wonder sometimes....
All hair tangles naturally if it's just left alone. I don't see the fact that hair tangles naturally as a bad thing personally. It's just what hair does..

What I think is jacked up is when the hair is untaken care of...and I know the difference between type 4 hair that is maintained regularly and type 4 hair that isn't. NEA, with all due respect.. you take care of your hair and that's evident from your posting on NC. So this really doesn't apply to you.

To me, there is a BIG AZZ difference between hair that isn't combed all the time but maintained in other ways and hair that just is a hot mess because someone was too triflin to do anything to maintain themselves and it's a hot tangled up mess.

So for me whoever has a problem with that.. hey they just gonna have to have a problem with it. I reserve the right to call whatever I deem nappy..just that: nappy. I'm not suggesting you have a problem.. I'm just putting it out there.. LOL!
I said type 4 hair is prone to tangling. Yes, all hair tangles, but my hair type will tangle quicker without having to be left alone as long as straighter hair types. There's nothing wrong with that. I said that.

My statements weren't directed to any particular person. My issue is that I think many black folks struggle with the natural properties of kinky hair...the frizz, the fuzz, the puffy roots, knotting....and all the rest. It's a constant point of contention. When you ask many us why the word is so distasteful, it seems that it's often because the word reminds us that we don't have "silky", "smooth", "flowy" hair that "behaves" well in hot, humid weather. We're embarrassed. Not everbody who hates the word feels that way. But I'm convinced many do.

Just because you have an understanding of how type 4 hair looks/behaves, and your're comfortable with that doesn't mean everybody has the same understanding/level of comfort.
Of course folks take issue with jacked up hair, and it's easy just to say that.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S ll using the Curltalk app.
Totally agree with the bold. I definitely didn't think your statement was directed to any one person or I would have just said so. I think I've seen your posting style long enough to know if you had something specific to say to or about someone..you'd just go ahead and address them. LOL! So I knew it was general.

I just like to comment on your posts because..well I like them, they make me think, and I take something of value from them whether I disagree or agree. And for me, that's rare.

I guess I'm just at the point of I wish many more AA's would get over buying into this bs of "good hair" and all that comes with it...being freaking embarrassed. It irks me. I've heard a gillion times black folks talking about they don't like "natural hair" (and they mean type 4 hair)..but let them see some "good hair" no matter how it looks.. they damn near lose their minds praising it. Oh and don't let skin complexion and mixed race come in the mix..then all hell really breaks loose. I can't.

But yeah.. maybe I'm on some other stuff...I'm okay standing over here alone though if it keeps me out of standing in BS.