My name is Christy, I'm 40 years old, and I hate my hair. I know I
should have outgrown this by now. After all, by this age I should be
able to accept my hair's limitations, but instead of getting easier,
it's getting harder. Here are things that I struggle with:
1) My hair is curly, but not curly enough. If I had a stronger curl
pattern, it would be easier to deal with my hair. Instead, my hair is
kind of wavy/curly, so it looks like messy straight hair rather than
truly curly hair.
2) My hair is getting harder to straighten as I get older. I don't have
more curl, just more stubborn curl. In other words, it takes more work
to make my hair look good than it used to, and I thought it should be
getting easier by this age.
3) My hair is getting frizzier as I get older. Even when I do get it
relatively straight, it frizzes really easily. It also frizzes when
curly, so I can't win.
4) I am allergic to at least one thing in all of the best curly hair
products I've tried. This means that if I wear my hair curly for more
than two days, my scalp and hairline will break out in massive pimples.
(This includes A/G Re:coil
, all Devacurl products, and Ouidad Climate
Control gel) One more reason to straighten.
5) Straightening my hair is very damaging, particularly when done with
a straightening iron. Extra bad because I color my hair. But it looks
better---shiny, smooth, touchable. Sigh.
6) My hair looks better long. I just like it better long with my face,
but that means more time straightening.
7) Straightening all the time means I have to carry more stuff with me
when I travel. Shouldn't I just be able to wash my hair and go by now?
Oh, wait, that's for short-haired people. I'm screwed.
I need bangs. Try as I might to go without bangs, my face needs
them. Curly bangs look stupid with my curl pattern, because they look
like horns. I must straighten them.
9) It' not the 80s anymore. Big messy, frizzy hair with bangs was the
bomb when I was in college. Why can't we get that trend back?
10) I read somewhere that after 40 you can go without makeup if your
hair is perfect, and vice versa. This really messes up my vacation
theory. Aren't you supposed to be able to go on vacation with minimal
makeup and wash and go hair? Am I officially too old to get away with
I don't know the 12 steps to recover from hating my hair. If you do,
please share them.