My hair is anywhere from a 2b-to-3a, so I'll just average it out and say it's a 2c
I'm brand new here, and pretty happy with my hair these days, but have 2 ongoing dilemmas that arise that maybe some of you might be able to help me with. My routine is in my signature and I'm mostly happy with it!! (sorry I didn't use abbreviations but I don't understand them yet!!)
1) I recently moved from Pittsburgh to Fort Worth, TX. My hair tends to go from oily-in-a-second, to dry-in-a-second (my skin in general is like that). After I discovered the curly girl book, I followed the directions for wavy girls to-a-t for about 6mos, until I realized my hair was SO dry from the gel and my scalp SO oily from the conditioner. My hairdresser recommended coconut oil, which made a WORLD of difference, and using a shampoo on my scalp a few times/week (really getting down at the scalp and rubbing in circles), but I've continued to have some oiliness at my crown that makes my hair in that area seem very dull and gross after a day or two, even grey under some lights. I'd LOVE to use something natural for a shampoo -- but nothing so far cuts it.
About 2 months ago I started using Neutrogena Anti-Residue once/week out of desperation for my hair to just feel CLEAN in that area, darnit!! I cover my hair with conditioner prior to using the shampoo, and while it's slightly drier than it usually is the day after, it's nothing major, and it finally feels really CLEAN...I then just 'spot clean' it with something gentler a few times/week in between. But, has anyone else found anything less harsh than the Neutrogena that REALLY works to clean the hair in the crown, and get rid of the 'gunk' that builds up?? I'd be all ears!! (all curls...??)
2) This is the more pressing issue.
-Short hair just does NOT work on me -- I much prefer it longer.
- I get warm VERY quickly/easily if my neck is warm. Ergo, wearing hair down in muggy weather=I sweat up a storm=curls are ruined for the day. (this neck thing is weird, I know).
- Fort Worth is hotter than Pittsburgh, but places here are ALWAYS air conditioned (I love Pittsburgh, but many people just can't accept that its summers are 'horribly swampy' and not 'pleasantly balmy'). In Pittsburgh, I rarely had the chance to 'cool down' as I was doing home visits for work and often clients' homes weren't AC'd. So I'd wear it in a pony tail all day. This leads to the next point --
- Ponytails are very unflattering on me.
- This has all led me many times to consider hacking off my hair.
- Last summer, before nearly doing just that, I instead taught myself to do fancy braids as a last-ditch effort. IT WORKED!! Now in the summer I can make my hair look reliably cute AND stay cool.
- BUT, I miss my curls, and as I work JUST in a very AC'd office now, no home visits I have a shot at being able to manage wearing my curls down some days!!
- EXCEPT, my hair is very pliable (except not when I want it to be!!) If I wear an elastic for even a short period, I'll get a huge, weird ridge in my curls that lasts the full day. I obviously can't be a shut in though, I've gotta go outside some!!
But really any period outdoors with my hair down makes me sweat and ruins my curls. But ponytails ruin my curls in a different way.
-My hair is CRAZY thick and there's LOTS of it, and most 'claw' clips don't hold my hair. The ones big enough to are so enormous they dig into my neck, and keep my hair 'bunched' in a way at my neck that I will still be really warm.
So, as a result of all this, I need to find good, BIG clips or ponytail holders that look presentable when I'm outside and it's hot, but don't totally ruin my curls, or aren't just generally uncomfortable. Alternately, I'd love easy ways to pull my hair back that would somehow preserve or even enhance my curls. I really wish big old scrunchies were in fashion for this issue!!
Anyway, thanks for hanging in with me this far, and I'd love, love, love any suggestions anyone can offer!!
Thanks so much!
PS including a few pics. The pic where I'm in purple was on a crazy hot, humid Pgh day where I was dying to put it up!! It was my wedding shower though and I wanted to wear it down
But it went up the second it was over!