CurlTalk

CurlTalk (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/)
-   2 (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/2/)
-   -   Wavy hair acceptance (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/2/165169-wavy-hair-acceptance.html)

09robiha 11-11-2013 03:00 PM

Wavy hair acceptance
 
Did any wavies here find it hard to accept that there hair is wavy and not curly?

claudine191 11-11-2013 04:38 PM

Definitely!

I even resorted to perming several times, but that wasn't "me" either.

The hardest thing is finding a cut that works with my uneven texture. I feel like I'm almost there, but who knows?

KauaiMareCurl 11-11-2013 04:56 PM

Yes. I am 2b/2c/3a in that my almost waist length hair will form loose rope curls at the longest spots, but the shorter layers (armpit length) are too short and/or still recovering from being thinned out (over a year ago) and sometimes are even 2a. Today's day four hair is definitely 2a in my opinion, and it's pretty frizzy; even so, today's hair is on par with my day one hair pre-CG

I wore my hair wavy/bushy/swirly pre-CG and STRUGGLED with the pyramid look; now that I have been CG for almost a year, I have the moisture balance down and I no longer struggle with the pyramid look. My hair clumps together and for the most part, lays nicely; it also feels soft to the touch, so I am constantly touching my hair. I know it can add frizz and/or pull out definition, but having gone most of my almost 50 years not touching my hair cause it was so coarse and rough, I don't mind the frizz and/or loss of definition

I am growing out the layers and the thinning sheers mess; the Ouidad trained stylist recently cut subtle layers and I just love it. I figure in a year, the shortest obvious layer will be BSL and the thinned out sections will have fully recovered.

I wish I had 3a/3b, but I am loving my CG 2b/2c/3a, pepper and salt hair

09robiha 11-11-2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KauaiMareCurl (Post 2222912)
Yes. I am 2b/2c/3a in that my almost waist length hair will form loose rope curls at the longest spots, but the shorter layers (armpit length) are too short and/or still recovering from being thinned out (over a year ago) and sometimes are even 2a. Today's day four hair is definitely 2a in my opinion, and it's pretty frizzy; even so, today's hair is on par with my day one hair pre-CG

I wore my hair wavy/bushy/swirly pre-CG and STRUGGLED with the pyramid look; now that I have been CG for almost a year, I have the moisture balance down and I no longer struggle with the pyramid look. My hair clumps together and for the most part, lays nicely; it also feels soft to the touch, so I am constantly touching my hair. I know it can add frizz and/or pull out definition, but having gone most of my almost 50 years not touching my hair cause it was so coarse and rough, I don't mind the frizz and/or loss of definition

I am growing out the layers and the thinning sheers mess; the Ouidad trained stylist recently cut subtle layers and I just love it. I figure in a year, the shortest obvious layer will be BSL and the thinned out sections will have fully recovered.

I wish I had 3a/3b, but I am loving my CG 2b/2c/3a, pepper and salt hair


What are the rest of your hair properties, we may be twins!

KauaiMareCurl 11-11-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 09robiha (Post 2222916)
What are the rest of your hair properties, we may be twins!

Medium/thinning density, normal porosity, medium strands. I used to think it was coarse strands, but it was probably the silicone build-up and lack of moisture that made it feel coarse. I'm about 25% salt/75% pepper because I'm just too lazy to dye, and it is almost waist length at the longest point when stretched.

What are your methods? I low poo about every third day (although I stretched to day four today because I am lazy and with the holiday, there wasn't that many people at work) using KC Come Clean, followed by RO (I'm a product junkie so this rotates through brands), and I usually use V05 moisture milks as LI. Sometimes I follow with a bit of KCKT. The amount of V05 I leave in is considerate and I don't do any type of rinse (not even the baptismal rinse).

I turban my hair with a microfiber towel to get some of the moisture out because I don't like water/LI dripping down my back. KCCC is next, followed by a hard hold gel (rotating through since I am a PJ). Sometimes I pixie diffuse for a bit to set the gel and pattern, followed by a plop; sometimes I plop for a bit (no set amount of time) first, followed by pixie diffuse. If I diffuse before plop, I will diffuse again to about 60-70% if I don't have time to air dry! I've been leaving the crunch in and letting it work it's way out naturally (or from me touching it, lol), because then on day two it holds up better and I can get day three hair, too

And now I'm off to wash, but this time I'm going to try the As I Am LI conditioner instead of the V05/KCKT combo LI. Wish me luck, lol

mandymae 11-11-2013 09:10 PM

I definitely still struggle with Type 3 jealousy. Who doesn't want to have beautiful curls? I have dealt with the frizz and the volume, but cannot have the glory. :hmph:Alas, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

However, I will find a way to keep my waves as pretty as they can be (even with the dew points getting into the teens)!

KauaiMareCurl 11-12-2013 06:04 AM

2 Attachment(s)
So far I like the As I Am LI; this is after pineappling (about 80% dry) with a long silk cap while sleeping. Some canopy frizz that I smoothed down with KCSS and KCCC
Attachment 39795Attachment 39796

Oh and the dew point has been in the low 20s

chupie 11-12-2013 10:35 PM

Always.

henna 11-12-2013 11:35 PM

Yes! Especially because I feel like my hair used to be curlier. But I could just be remembering wrong...I always mostly straightened it, ever since flat irons became big. I'm hoping that once I grow it out, it'll go back to the almost 3A it was -- I was wearing a short, inverted bob for 4+ years, and had it hacked like crazy with thinning shears/texturizing scissors every time I got it cut (which was a lot). But even it it doesn't come back -- I'm learning to enjoy/live with the look. :)

heyho 11-26-2013 07:28 PM

Over the past few months I've been feeling better and better about my naturally wavy hair and I now whole-heartedly and happily embrace my naturally dishevelled, messy, non-shiny, curvy, wavy hair. This has coincided with leaving the curly girl method behind. I needed to find my own wavy method!

The following links helped me, so maybe they will help some other wavies out there. These women have inspired a major shift in my attitude towards my hair. I may not agree with every single thing they say or do, but their overall attitudes and thoughts about hair and the way they really own their natural hair has struck a deep chord in me. It has helped me to love my own hair and truly work with it, not against it. Go wavies!

How To Hair - DIY Hair Resource From How To Hair Girl | Multiple personality hair: How to deal when your hair is curly and straight at the same time.

How To Hair - DIY Hair Resource From How To Hair Girl | Natural curls and waves..... Free the hair beast.

How To Hair - DIY Hair Resource From How To Hair Girl | 8 steps to loving the hair you have.

shamphree - YouTube

Delightfully Tacky: Q + A // how to cut your own hair

Jimipe 11-27-2013 03:24 AM

I have a lower layer hair that is less curly than the top and my nape hair is clearly wavy rather than curly. Usually goes from 2C styled and damp to 2B dried to even 2A four days after washing... And yes, I have a hard time accepting it, partly because I don't know if it is how the hair "should" behave or if it's damage and partly because I don't know how to handle it. I cut it a bit shorter yesterday so that it doesn't stick out but if I end up with some hair hanging it sometimes still looks like just forgot to curl it or something... :/

chupie 11-28-2013 10:10 AM

I'm telling you what. A GOOD Deva stylist who is keen that wavies are also needing a good non-straight cut can help that. They get how to cut your hair to fall how it wants.

bringingcurliesback? 11-28-2013 01:00 PM

@KauaiMareCurl I love your hair. That is all I have to say. Your grey is gorgeous. I don't ever want to dye my hair and the grey curlies on here are so beautiful.
I love love love it.

And if you don't mind me what does your tattoo mean? I'm sorry I am quite nosey.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using CurlTalk App

KauaiMareCurl 11-28-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bringingcurliesback? (Post 2227406)
@KauaiMareCurl I love your hair. That is all I have to say. Your grey is gorgeous. I don't ever want to dye my hair and the grey curlies on here are so beautiful.
I love love love it.

And if you don't mind me what does your tattoo mean? I'm sorry I am quite nosey.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using CurlTalk App

Thanks, you are so sweet! I don't dye because I am so incredibly lazy. This CG method is wonderful for my laziness, since I'm now finding I can go 3 days without having to wash and I am now going 4-5 months between trims.

The tattoo is for my family and they are what anchor me into this world. I have a honu (Hawaiian green sea turtle), a Hawaiian monk seal, my daughters shortened names, my parents initials, and my brother's nickname.

You have FAB hair, my dear!

wavydaze 11-28-2013 11:27 PM

KauaiMareCurl you are so adorable!

KrisHousley13 11-29-2013 08:56 PM

Yes I used to be 3a/3b now I am 2b/2c with a little 3a once in a blue moon when the hair gods smile upon me. I miss my curly hair. I'm doing better with accepting wavy than I used to, but I do feel it's a lot harder for me to style and my second day hair is a nightmare. I need to figure out a a second day refreshing routine so I'm not always pulling it up.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com