Ugh Straight Hair

Like Tree12Likes

Every once in a while I wish my hair was straight and thick instead of wavy and thick. Partially because every time my hair is straight, everyone just flips with glee!

So annoying... Why is that?! Is it Kim Kardashian's fault? Is it advertising's fault? What's wrong with wavy/curly hair??

Basically, I'm in the annoying period where I wait for a hair cut to fix my layers cuz right now the back is still wavy but the front is straight cuz the layers are too long, so I brushed through and now it's this weird straight/wavy hybrid.

Anyway, wavy hair problems.
2C/3A; very, very thick fine to medium hair; low porosity.

Current Products:
Co-Wash: As I Am Cleansing Co-Wash
Conditioner: Shea Moisture Tahitian Masque, Eliah Sahil Conditioner
Leave-In: Coffee Coco Curl Creme
Oil: Jojoba Oil
Stylers: Mop Top Curl Custard, Jane Carter's Incredible Curls, Shea Moisture Curl Custard[/FONT]


"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Khalil Gibran
I hear ya! I'm a 2c 3a, and used to wish that my hair were straight. Whenever I would straighten it everybody would tell me how great it looks. The most important thing is to be yourself, not what other people want you to be. I like my hair better when I wear it curly, so that's what I do. I still get comments on having poofy hair and stuff, but I just ignore it. Do what YOU want to do with your hair!!
rbb, curlypearl and russianprncss like this.
Sometimes I wish that I had never discovered I have 'wavy' hair ... the whole battle right now with some pieces super straight, some wavy and some frizzy is driving me crazy lol...
I cut a couple of inches on Saturday to see if that helps.... if not, I will cut even more ,... I'm about to give up completely...
CO: VO5 KLSC Conditioner
RO: SNCT
PT: AIgirl's gelatin recipe

Testing: LALSAG, AVG,

Last edited by arel; 06-24-2014 at 02:01 PM.
Don't give up! I'm still figuring out how to care for it, but I know I feel more like myself with my natural texture and you'll figure out how to work with what you have, too
CGSince2002 likes this.
2C/3A; very, very thick fine to medium hair; low porosity.

Current Products:
Co-Wash: As I Am Cleansing Co-Wash
Conditioner: Shea Moisture Tahitian Masque, Eliah Sahil Conditioner
Leave-In: Coffee Coco Curl Creme
Oil: Jojoba Oil
Stylers: Mop Top Curl Custard, Jane Carter's Incredible Curls, Shea Moisture Curl Custard[/FONT]


"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Khalil Gibran
Thanks! I will continue to hold as much as I can... I've seen that some in the board have seen better results after they do a big chop... but let's see how it goes for me...
russianprncss likes this.
CO: VO5 KLSC Conditioner
RO: SNCT
PT: AIgirl's gelatin recipe

Testing: LALSAG, AVG,
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,073
Blasphemy! How can you say that when you have such pretty hair?!

Ok, ok, so you said you need a cut... when I need one I just can't wait, it's like suddenly I can't stand my hair, but that too shall pass! But speaking of which, yesterday I gave myself a trim because last week I noticed something I'd forgotten about, that on my last cut they didn't layer my back properly. Now cutting my own back is a very hard thing for me to do, but I sort of managed even though I still don't think I shortened it enough.

In reality what I'd like to do is get a lot of it cut off because now it's so hot, and to make matters worse my car's a/c went kaput. My b/f, who prefers my hair longer, had offered to fix it but he's been dragging his feet so I told him I couldn't ride in that hot car with my hair hanging down my neck because I don't wear it up, so maybe this time he'll get it done...
arel likes this.
Thank you ladies!

@CG: I hope your ac is fix soon... here in SFL we cannot be without ac in the car... the heat is too much to handle...
CO: VO5 KLSC Conditioner
RO: SNCT
PT: AIgirl's gelatin recipe

Testing: LALSAG, AVG,
Thank you CG! I'm seeing a hair dresser for a consult Friday, so that's exciting and then hopefully a cut won't be too far away!

That pic is actually old... Looks more 2A I think. Now that I've gone CG, I'd say my hair is more 2B/2C.

And Arel, I bet your hair is totally worth caring for CG. Are you gonna do the big chop?
2C/3A; very, very thick fine to medium hair; low porosity.

Current Products:
Co-Wash: As I Am Cleansing Co-Wash
Conditioner: Shea Moisture Tahitian Masque, Eliah Sahil Conditioner
Leave-In: Coffee Coco Curl Creme
Oil: Jojoba Oil
Stylers: Mop Top Curl Custard, Jane Carter's Incredible Curls, Shea Moisture Curl Custard[/FONT]


"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Khalil Gibran
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,073
Thank you ladies!

@CG: I hope your ac is fix soon... here in SFL we cannot be without ac in the car... the heat is too much to handle...
Originally Posted by arel
Don't give up, you'll see it's well worth it, if there's anything I can help with ask away. Although my hair looks mostly like a 3A I guarantee you I face most of the challenges of wavies so I've had to change products and technique several times to suit different hair lengths, weather or condition of my hair.

Thank you CG! I'm seeing a hair dresser for a consult Friday, so that's exciting and then hopefully a cut won't be too far away!

That pic is actually old... Looks more 2A I think. Now that I've gone CG, I'd say my hair is more 2B/2C.

And Arel, I bet your hair is totally worth caring for CG. Are you gonna do the big chop?
Originally Posted by russianprncss
Be sure to make her/him understand that you don't want a lot cut off (unless you really do...), if all you need is a trim tell them you want your ends "dusted". I've found that when I explain myself clearly I'm more likely to get what just what I need.
russianprncss likes this.
Thank you CG! I'm seeing a hair dresser for a consult Friday, so that's exciting and then hopefully a cut won't be too far away!

That pic is actually old... Looks more 2A I think. Now that I've gone CG, I'd say my hair is more 2B/2C.

And Arel, I bet your hair is totally worth caring for CG. Are you gonna do the big chop?
Originally Posted by russianprncss

Thanks Princess, I am sure my hair is worth the effort... thing is sometimes I get totally discouraged... I am not sure about the big chop... It's been a while since the last time I was on a hairdresser's chair. I plan to do a hair analysis first to know once and for all my hair properties. Then, try new products (I really want to try and like SheaMoisture) if all that fails, a cut is my last option
CO: VO5 KLSC Conditioner
RO: SNCT
PT: AIgirl's gelatin recipe

Testing: LALSAG, AVG,
Don't give up, you'll see it's well worth it, if there's anything I can help with ask away. Although my hair looks mostly like a 3A I guarantee you I face most of the challenges of wavies so I've had to change products and technique several times to suit different hair lengths, weather or condition of my hair.
Originally Posted by CGSince2002

That's the plan: continue the journey. One thing is for sure, my hair condition has improved tremendously now that I care better for it. That I think is a big plus!

Thanks so much for offering your help. Your comments are always on point and I really appreciate you take the time to answer anyone's questions here
CO: VO5 KLSC Conditioner
RO: SNCT
PT: AIgirl's gelatin recipe

Testing: LALSAG, AVG,

Last edited by arel; 06-25-2014 at 08:39 AM.
I think it's just human nature to believe the grass is greener on the other side. I'm lucky that my hair is versatile enough to go back and forth. Some people here are so into CG and no heat and me I think you should take care of your hair, regular DTs or PTs, and trims. Do what makes you happy! I like to be daring with my hair so I go between long and short and really long and really short, etc.

Anyway, straight hair has just as many issues as curly hair they just aren't the same issues. Healthy hair is beautiful hair no matter if it's straight or curly!
russianprncss likes this.
~Belle Bohemienne

"If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present." -Lao Tzu
I agree 100% with you Belle, we are our worst critics! And yes, nothing is more beautiful that healthy hair; either straight, curly, wavy, long, short, colored, virgin, etc.
CO: VO5 KLSC Conditioner
RO: SNCT
PT: AIgirl's gelatin recipe

Testing: LALSAG, AVG,
So true! I mean seriously, people with straight hair wish they had wavy hair and we either wish our hair was curlier or straighter! Silly us!
aspen likes this.
2C/3A; very, very thick fine to medium hair; low porosity.

Current Products:
Co-Wash: As I Am Cleansing Co-Wash
Conditioner: Shea Moisture Tahitian Masque, Eliah Sahil Conditioner
Leave-In: Coffee Coco Curl Creme
Oil: Jojoba Oil
Stylers: Mop Top Curl Custard, Jane Carter's Incredible Curls, Shea Moisture Curl Custard[/FONT]


"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Khalil Gibran
It's strange to me that you'd say that. I've never ever heard anyone in person complain about wavy/curly hair or say that it's undesirable or ugly. In fact I've only heard straight haired girls wish they had curls. If people thought waves and curls were ugly then curlers and curling wands wouldn't have been invented.

Maybe people just compliment your hair when it's straightened or straight because it's different to what they're used to seeing you with, just like if a girl with straight hair curled her hair for the day, it's not that they don't like her natural hair, they're just used to seeing it. My sister has wavy hair like me and recently she's been straightening it. I told her it looked nice because I think it does, it doesn't mean I don't like her natural hair as well.
aspen likes this.
Pre Shampoo: Olive Oil
Low Shampoo: Redken Curvaceous Cream Shampoo
Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
Treatments: SM Yucca & Baobab Masque/SM African Black Soap Masque/Joico K-Pak Reconstructor
Leave in/Oil:Castor Oil/Redken Diamond Oil Conditioner
Styling: AG Recoil Curl Activator/V05 Mega Hold/Cornstarch
Refresh: Redken Fresh Curls Curl Boost


Waist Length, 2B with 2C ends
You're a wavy! You can easily wave, curl AND straighten it without the need of using heat I used to love bone straight hair too, now I love ALL hairtypes and manipulate my fried hair without the use of heat

Kim Kardashian by the way naturally probably has that thick bone straight armenian hair but I see her sporting loose waves more often than bone straight hair...in fact almost every celebrity is sporting 2a hair at least...maybe because their hair looks good because their stylist styles is good, that's a different story.

By the way from my personal experience I noticed that only in highschool fried bone straight hair is loved LOL.

And if that's your hair without manipulation in the profile picture, that's exactly what celebrity hair is. Straightish wavish, something I can only achieve with rollers.
CGSince2002 likes this.

Last edited by noodly; 08-01-2014 at 05:07 PM.
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,073
You're a wavy! You can easily wave, curl AND straighten it without the need of using heat I used to love bone straight hair too, now I love ALL hairtypes and manipulate my fried hair without the use of heat

Kim Kardashian by the way naturally probably has that thick bone straight armenian hair but I see her sporting loose waves more often than bone straight hair...in fact almost every celebrity is sporting 2a hair at least...maybe because their hair looks good because their stylist styles is good, that's a different story.

By the way from my personal experience I noticed that only in highschool fried bone straight hair is loved LOL.

And if that's your hair without manipulation in the profile picture, that's exactly what celebrity hair is. Straightish wavish, something I can only achieve with rollers.
Originally Posted by noodly
When my hair was just wavy (climate has a lot to do with that...) I thought I was really lucky for the reasons you mentioned. Since I started styling my own hair at 14 (with few exceptions when I went to a salon for more elaborate 'dos) and enjoyed it, it was never hard for me to try whatever was the new thing around: first wet roller set/hood dryer combo, foam rollers for night time, dry wrapping, electric curlers, blow drying, curling irons, curling brush dryers, and I even owned a inexpensive Conair flat iron (which I gave away after using just a couple of times), etc. And when I became CG and my hair began to curl more it was just great, less work for me.

But I'm now back to waves... I couldn't stand the heat so last week I got a "big chop" and now, except for one small section over my forehead, my hair won't curl or look ok on its own, so I'm using rollers once again, maybe until I grow back one inch or so.
You're a wavy! You can easily wave, curl AND straighten it without the need of using heat I used to love bone straight hair too, now I love ALL hairtypes and manipulate my fried hair without the use of heat

Kim Kardashian by the way naturally probably has that thick bone straight armenian hair but I see her sporting loose waves more often than bone straight hair...in fact almost every celebrity is sporting 2a hair at least...maybe because their hair looks good because their stylist styles is good, that's a different story.

By the way from my personal experience I noticed that only in highschool fried bone straight hair is loved LOL.

And if that's your hair without manipulation in the profile picture, that's exactly what celebrity hair is. Straightish wavish, something I can only achieve with rollers.
Originally Posted by noodly
When my hair was just wavy (climate has a lot to do with that...) I thought I was really lucky for the reasons you mentioned. Since I started styling my own hair at 14 (with few exceptions when I went to a salon for more elaborate 'dos) and enjoyed it, it was never hard for me to try whatever was the new thing around: first wet roller set/hood dryer combo, foam rollers for night time, dry wrapping, electric curlers, blow drying, curling irons, curling brush dryers, and I even owned a inexpensive Conair flat iron (which I gave away after using just a couple of times), etc. And when I became CG and my hair began to curl more it was just great, less work for me.

But I'm now back to waves... I couldn't stand the heat so last week I got a "big chop" and now, except for one small section over my forehead, my hair won't curl or look ok on its own, so I'm using rollers once again, maybe until I grow back one inch or so.
Originally Posted by CGSince2002
I cut off the blondest ends of my hair and noticed my hair is curlier. Maybe you need a trim??? My products are almost used up and healty roots are really showing up. so can almost begin with CG method. I hope my curls will look as good as yours!
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,073
I wonder if you saw a thread that Chupie started not too long ago showing the permanent wave machine, a scary contraption that took all of 6 hours to curl the hair, yet lots of women were willing to sit through it and pay whatever it cost just to NOT have straight hair as for many decades curls and waves were the only acceptable and elegant way to wear one's hair.

A lot of you here are too young to know that back in the '40s, '50s & '60s women with straight hair were going to salons for permanent waves. Those that grew up around then and are still alive still get permanents and they've been the ones telling me how lucky I am to have "naturally curly" hair.

Think about this, the hair industry has to change things around every so often in order to sell stuff, because once EVERYONE owns several sizes of curling irons, the electric or steam curlers and any other means to curl the hair, in order to make people spend $$ they have to change the "trend" so people will feel the need to spend again on getting all the gadgets and products that will get them the hair styles that are "in". Once they noticed that lots of women were abandoning sulfate shampoos and embracing co-washing, what did they do? The came up with sulfate-free shampoos and/or co-washes (think L'Oreal & Pantene...), it's the old "if you can't beat them join them".

So I say, let's just be glad that we're living in a time when we can decide how we want to wear our hair without being necessarily driven by what someone else dictates. Let's enjoy our natural textures and be a good example for the generations to come so they can have the freedom and knowledge most of us didn't have while growing up.
I had straight thick hair for a long time, and I have to say I absolutely HATED it. My hair would be insanely frizzy and tangled all the time. Literally, I would go outside (I live near the ocean, so lots of wind) and my hair would just form knots the second I went out the door. Everytime I would put it up it would slowly fall down due to its thickness and every braid would make it frizzier. I straightened and straightened to no avail, and curls from an iron would just fall out. I spent years attempted to fix my hair and never was able to. So glad I'm curly now!
Mostly 2c hair, with a little mix of 2b to the back. Not on the CG method yet, but plan on going on it ASAP.
SHAMPOO: Paul Mitchell Lemon Clarifying
CONDITIONER: John Frieda Frizz-Ease Smooth
DEEP CONDITIONER: Organix Morrocan Oil Cream
STYLING: Garnier Sleek and Shine Serum, John Frieda Frizz-Ease Dream Curls Daily Styling Spray, and Suave Captivating Curls Whipped Mousse

Trending Topics


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com