View Single Post
Old 03-14-2007, 10:01 PM   #25
HalfWavyHalfCurly

A couple of years ago I tried shea butter, I melted some and added it directly to two bottles of inexpensive COs (and maybe to a hand lotion as well) but I may have added too much because the results weren't good, after that I didn't experiment with it anymore and forgot about it for so long that next time I found it had gone bad, so I still don't know if in the right amount it may have worked well for me. This just reminded me that back in December or January while browsing through the beauty isles at Wal-mart I noticed a product (or rather about 5 varieties of it) on the skin care section that I was quite tempted to get - but didn't because I'd just bought several hair products elsewhere. It was JR Watkins Shea Butter and it was actually priced at least a couple of dollars less than at this site. This cream is really meant for skin but the ingredient list sounded great for hair as well, I think it has dimethicone far down the list but that is one of the lighter 'cones anyway and I think when it's mixed with so many oils it's even less of a problem. I would've gladly bought either the Lavender or Lemon Cream because they smelled great, maybe next time...

I have used honey mainly mixed with FOTEAVG (Fruit of The Earth 100% Aloe Vera Gel) for hold and also in a CO for extra moisture. And every year during the short cold spell here I do at least one coconut oil overnight treatment; I like it because it's easy to remove with just CO and it leaves my hair shiny and moisturized. A couple of weeks ago I dug out my Organic Root Stimulator Locs & Twists Gel (which contains coconut milk) and I loved how it moisturized my hair, the only problem is that it has very little hold so in a few hours my curls got fuzzy. But the next day I just re-wet my hair, sprayed Suave liquid gel over it, combed through and scrunched while upside-down and was able to go for 2 more days with pretty good curls. Next time I want to try mixing it with the FOTEAVG and see how that goes.

"Converting the 'curlskeptics' one curly head at a time..." HWHC
HalfWavyHalfCurly is offline   Reply With Quote