View Single Post
Old 08-20-2012, 09:51 PM   #11
Poochie

Send a message via AIM to Poochie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcurlygurl View Post
I know people who have had Lasik surgery in their 70's without a hitch.
I'm 54 and if there was an eye surgery to fix far-sightedness I'd be right there having it done.
Jeep, there is a procedure now for presbyopia. It's called ReStor and is similar to cataract surgery (they replace your lens) and it eliminates the need for reading glasses.

I haven't had the procedure but heard about it at my consultation a few weeks ago.

I'm 49 and quite nearsighted, and have been told I am not a good candidate for LASIK because of the degree of myopia; I would probably end up with dry eye because they would have to thin my cornea so much. Also I haven't seriously considered it because I am a theatrical lighting designer and don't want to compromise my night vision (a not uncommon side effect) because although that's just a nuisance for many people, I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to do my job.

I've worn contacts for about 35 years now and don't have too much trouble with them, but I would love to be able to go swimming and be able to see, or go really long days without gritty and dry-feeling contacts. I went for a consultation recently and it seems that a good option for me is implantable contacts (the specific one I'n considering is called Visian ICL). I'm working on saving up the money to have this done.
Poochie is offline   Reply With Quote