I know people who have had Lasik surgery in their 70's without a hitch.
I'm 54 and if there was an eye surgery to fix far-sightedness I'd be right there having it done.
Originally Posted by jeepcurlygurl
Jeep, there is a procedure now for presbyopia. It's called ReStor and is similar to cataract surgery (they replace your lens) and it eliminates the need for reading glasses.

I haven't had the procedure but heard about it at my consultation a few weeks ago.

I'm 49 and quite nearsighted, and have been told I am not a good candidate for LASIK because of the degree of myopia; I would probably end up with dry eye because they would have to thin my cornea so much. Also I haven't seriously considered it because I am a theatrical lighting designer and don't want to compromise my night vision (a not uncommon side effect) because although that's just a nuisance for many people, I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to do my job.

I've worn contacts for about 35 years now and don't have too much trouble with them, but I would love to be able to go swimming and be able to see, or go really long days without gritty and dry-feeling contacts. I went for a consultation recently and it seems that a good option for me is implantable contacts (the specific one I'n considering is called Visian ICL). I'm working on saving up the money to have this done.