View Single Post
Old 08-26-2012, 03:28 PM   #11
adthomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wumi View Post
Can we stop the posts starting with "I'm mixed... but/and-" *I'm sorry for the all caps, but I think it is necessary when I ask, WHY DO PEOPLE THINK BEING MIXED MATTERS SO MUCH WHEN IT COMES TO HAIR?*

There is very much variation within all races when it comes to hair, just like skin color and facial/body features. Plenty of "mixed" children come out with kinky, brillo-pad textured hair, just as you can't determine what other traits they will have.

Lastly, if nappy means "straightened hair that still looks African," and you are offended by the word, but yet you claim you don't know what it means, I'm going to go out on a limb and say you have a problem with your hair reflecting any "African-ness." You weren't offended by your hair being called Indian, and you didn't ask for another term for that, which isn't helping your "I'm not racist" case.

My answer: Yes, if your black friends are telling you that you have nappy hair, you probably have nappy hair. And real talk- if you straighten your hair and you're worried people can still tell you are "African," maybe it's not your hair that's the real problem.
+ 1 I definitely think this OP has a negative attitude toward looking "African". I mean why announce "I'm not racist" without anyone calling you racist unless you realize what you're saying sounds racist. And why would she hate the word nappy unless she realizes it is an insult?

To the OP. You didn't say what you are mixed with but it is MORE THAN OBVIOUS somebody in your family tree is black because you look black. If I saw you walking down the street whether your hair was kinky or straight I would still think you were black. Not Bohemian. Sorry to break it to you but that flatiron isn't fooling your black friends or anyone else so you might as well accept your African-ness.