This is a great thread. I was opposed to allowance because I never got one and neither did my husband. We were just expected to help out with the housework growing up. But my kids keep begging me to buy them all these crappy toys all the time, so instead of all the whining and pouting (because the answer is usually no), they're getting house work. Right now they clear their dishes from the table and put them in or by the sink, put away their clean laundry, help me bring in groceries from the car (if they're around), bringing the trash can back from the curb, pick up their room. I was thinking of paying them each $1/day. If they don't do the work, they won't get paid. Now they can save up to buy all the junk their darling little hearts desire.
Originally Posted by Sigi
A friend was against the kids getting an allowance, but her husband thought the kids should get one.

So the kids do the normal stuff (cleaning up after themselves, dishes away, setting the table, etc), but then they have "Money Chores". She has a board on the fridge with different things and what they will get for them.

$2 to weed the garden/$3 to clean up after the dog/$4 to do laundry/etc. If the kids do that stuff, they initial the board and get money at the end of the week.

I don't have kids, but seemed like a good compromise between stuff you need to do to help out in your family, and things to do to earn some money.
I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
Audrey Hepburn