I'm fine/low porosity and going gray, but still have some highlights (trying to see if my "natural" color is interesting enough.) I'd say the highlights are less then 5% of my hair (mostly front and canopy.) for now, it's been over three months since I've had them done. Personally, I'm not finding that the gray responds all that differently then my other hair--but that's me.

My hair doesn't care for straight oil/butter, but likes them in products. I use minute amounts of really rich products--which I think seals in the moisture. My hair is moist enough that the shampoo guy won't use conditioner on it when I'm at the salon (he doesn't "get" it.)

Many of us start out with Deva, think we like it, and then move on to other things. My hair prefers the more natural products from the online, boutique companies. It really doesn't like the heavier oils (castor, mineral, etc.) in products. It does like a lot of protein.

Another thing that many of us find important to do is to rotate products. I wet, use a rinse out and style every day seldom using any one product more then once in five days. For me, the styling products make a bigger difference. The rinse out is only on my low porosity hair for a few minutes in the shower. Not much time to be absorbed. There are conditioners that I don't find moisturizing enough, but I don't buy them again. I find that using minute amounts of richer products that can be absorbed all day works for me.

In the low dewpoints, I use a leave in AND curl enhancer followed up with a jelly product. In the high dewpoints, I use a leave in OR curl enhancer followed by a jelly product.
3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
modified CG, since April '07
CG since 3/11/08

SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic (now Hello Curly Curl Stimulater); Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Marie Dean Leave Ins and Curl Creams