Well, tangly hair sometimes means it NEEDS protein - but the more protein you use, the more moisture you need to add.

I had major tangle problems a while back. I started doing Gelatin PT's, using products with protein in them, but then also doing regular DT's, using more LI and oil, and sealing.

And I'll tell you the absolute MIRACLE for my tangles was sealing with a few drops of mineral oil on very wet hair. (over LI, under stylers). My nape used to be a RATS NEST pretty much daily, but that problem has all but disappeared.

It's hard to tell sometimes if you are dry or if you are over proteined. (or if you are dry BECAUSE of the protein.). You may still need a lot of protein for your hair, especially since you say your curls are nice now, but you aren't getting the balance of protein a moisture quite right just yet. Generally for fine hair the more you use of one, the more you need of the other.

Of course be sure your RO has plenty of slip. Also only detangle in the shower with conditioner in your hair using a wide tooth comb. Another tip is to let the shower water run down your hair as you detangle. It tends to help the knots come loose.
2c/3a/3b, Fine/med, Dense, high porous, & normal elas.

Lo-poo - Renpure Keratin, SMR, Giovanni SaS
clarifying - mix Johnson's H2T with low poo
Co-wash - Suave Nats. clar. or coco.
RO - GVPCB, Ion Eff. Care, TN.
LI - SMR, Cure Care, or RO
Seal - MO or Jojoba
DT - + honey, ACV, & EVOO to SM masque & GVPCB
PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
Styling - FSG, AIF, BRHG, LALS/PS, GF curl spray gel, SM Souffle/Smoothie, LOOB
Oils - MO!, EVOO, jojoba, GSO, SM Elixer, EVCO, VO5 Hairdressing