I had my hair analyzed two years ago. It surprised me, the results; I had always thought it was very porous.

What's the floaty test?

My hair LITERALLY absorbed all that. So what does that mean? Hungry how?

Are you saying with cones I never would have been able to "feed" it? Wasn't sure what you meant. I don't use cones except a couple water-soluble ones intermittently (dimethicone is it?)

I get it colored every so often with semi-permanent to cover the grays - I was using Redken Shades EQ but that has wheat so was going to switch to Paul Mitchell (I forget which)

I tried getting a water softener, but it made my hair BIZARRE (it was two christmases ago so it's vague) but I think it was like soggy seaweed? Though my water here is so hard, I do think I should do something - help??

But couldn't this all still be a protein issue??

You have got me so curious!

When is the last time you used protein in your hair?

It does seem like your hair is incredibly porous. I started to think this when you said it was slurping up KCKT...and then GVP Balm...But then when you said it drank in mayo, eggs, etc. ...WOW. (It's hungry too!)

Even with a "Prell" wash, I cannot imagine non-porous hair being that absorbent. When is the last time you did a "floaty" test?

If your hair was coated with cones, I don't think it would be able to suck in all that stuff. I think your hair would feel sticky; not to mention phenomenally greasy.

Do you color your hair? (I can't remember what you said about this, sorry)

Did you have your hair analyzed very recently?

Could it possibly be your water stripping every last bit of moisture from your scalp? I moved to AZ from SoCAL last June, and the difference in the water is remarkable. Whenever I hear anyone in AZ complaining about the "hard" water, I know for sure they've never lived in LA. The water back there feels like rinsing with sand compared to the water here, and I don't have a water softener. At some point, could your hair have been absorbing too much water, and the heaviness led to trouble?
Originally Posted by gardencurls
3b/fine/normal porosity/normal elasticity

LOVES behentrimonium methosulfate
(don't ask me to pronounce that!)

Want to grow it long again!
And simply want to figure out this hair of mine!