Since you are a newbie, I want to say congrats to doing the big chop. I bet you are super eager to dive into the whole natural hair/curly hair thing. But you should know that curl type should be the least of your concern right now, especially after having just BC'd and not having enough hair to even determine what kind of curl is growing out. Just embrace the fact that you have curls but consider the shape as "to be determined"...

Curl type is neat to know (and when you get more length it'll be easier to tell) but right now, focus your energies on learning the other properties of your hair:

Texture: Is your hair (the individual strands) fine, medium, or coarse?

Porosity: How well does your hair receive and keep moisture?

Density: Lots of strands all over, or not so much?

Note: These factors will help you figure out what your individual protein/moisture balance is (everyone's ratio of moisture-to-protein is different), which will allow your hair's curl to define itself without much help from you...

This is more important when figuring out hair care and styling (like killing that frizz you mentioned). Again, since you have just done the big chop you're starting with a clean slate so you shouldn't have any problems with damage or other factors getting in the way of figuring out these properties. Should be easy peasy.

Trust me, start with these and it'll be a lot easier (I mean navigating these boards and your hair).

HTH
4a/3c, fine strands, low porosity, medium density
Last relaxer: Jan 2010 - BC'd: 2/27/11
My Fotki
My Blog

Last edited by artemis513; 09-22-2012 at 01:33 PM.