Are you off wheat because of a possible gluten intolerance?? Other grains also contain gluten, so you may do better if you eliminate more of them: wheat, rye, barley, oats and triticale are listed.

My hair only tangles when I use an ingredient it doesn't like. If you're tangling a lot--it could be ingredients. I stay away from a lot of chemicals in products, especially gels (like polyquats.) I just hated BRHG. It made it feel like plastic. Some of the tangles may be caused by using a lot of chemicals that build up, hence the clarifying being necessary. If you're using water soluble products, that your hair likes, you shouldn't need to clarify.

I'd try going as natural as possible with my products. Cut out the chemicals other then preservatives and see what happens with your hair. Almost like an elimination diet. There are lots of products that don't have chemicals in them. It' may be a good place for you to start.
3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
modified CG, since April '07
CG since 3/11/08

SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic (now Hello Curly Curl Stimulater); Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Marie Dean Leave Ins and Curl Creams