• When I was six, my mother cut my hair herself (into some sort of demented pixie cut that turned into an afro because she didn't know how to take care of the curls) because she didn't like dealing with the tangles in my hair.

• When I was 12 or 13, my mother took me to the salon where they tried to 'reverse-perm' my hair and I ended up with an even bigger afro than before.

• When I was 17, a stylist told me she knew how to cut curly hair. When she went to cut my bangs, I told her to cut them no shorter than the bottom of my nose. She cut them at my eyebrows and I ended up with no bangs at all when my hair dried (and I refused to pay for the haircut).

THAT is when I started growing my hair out ...

• Three years ago, I went to a stylist who specializes in curly hair (recommended here) for a 'dry cut'. My hair looked great when I left the salon, but my hair looked worse afterwards because I couldn't figure out how to diffuse my hair the way he did.

• Last year, I went to another stylist who specializes in curly hair for a cut and color. He ended up not being available and I ended up with one of his assistants. She didn't take my greying roots, or my dark ends from years of coloring, into consideration and I ended up with tri-colored hair -- brassy red at the roots, a beautiful color in the middle, and dark brown on the ends. She tried to 'fix' the problem but couldn't, so I ended up going back to my normal hair color.

I haven't stepped foot in a salon since! I hate when stylists tell me they know what they're doing -- but they don't -- and I end up looking worse than when I went in.
med/coarse texture; med/high porosity; 3b; iii; 30" long (waist)

CWC using whatever works this week

A curly girl married to a curly guy!