If one of the people is Catholic and divorced, all you have to do is get the church to consider your marriage annulled under the eyes of the church. You are still legally (under the eyes of the law) divorced; just a way for the church to get around it. I know this because my husband's ex-wife had their marriage "annulled by the Catholic church."
Originally Posted by munchkin
My fiancee and I are having our 1st marriages annulled. It's not such an easy process. We had to get a lot of paperwork together, get witnesses, and fill out a very lengthy questionare. It also is costing us each $500. The process could take from 18 to 24 months to be completed. I wasn't raised Catholic, so this all seems pretty ridiculous to me.
Originally Posted by Lotsawaves
What I don't understand is why non-Catholics who don't agree with these requirements consent to them and then complain. Is it because your fiance pressures you and you feel you have to go along with it? That's not really the fault of the Church. If you don't desire marriage in the Church you (general you) should be honest with your partner and tell them that. If it is so important to them to marry in the Church, they should find a Catholic or someone amenable to the process. If YOU are important to them then they shouldn't insist on something you don't want. I don't think the Church is responsible for that. It has its own views on marriage, which we can debate because they are not necessarily all reasonable, but nonetheless, it is upfront about that and a Church marriage is not required. Most religious institutions have rules and procedures around marriage - some stricter than others and you can certainly shop around. Since the state ultimately provides marriage, you can also opt out of religious marriage altogether if you want to get married more quickly. Or you can have a civil marriage first and do a religious ceremony later (some do it the other way round in other religions such as Islam.)
Originally Posted by Amneris
This. When my sister got married, the priest at our church wanted my non-Catholic brother-in-law to agree to raise their kids Catholic. He didn't want to agree to that, and my sister didn't feel good about the priest asking that of them, so they opted to get married elsewhere, in a non-Catholic church. (My dad hated that, but there you go.)
3B corkscrews with scatterings of 3A & 3C.