View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 02:50 PM   #83
anonymous_125408

I was curious and referred to my favorite crafty cosmetic chemist, Susan Barclay-Nichols, who when asked (in a comment on this post) "are the gentlest surfactants like cocamidopropyl betaine and decyl glucoside able to wash away silicones?" says:

"If you aren't using tons and tons of it, yes. (When I say tons, I mean using a conditioner, leave in, anti-frizz, and heat protecting spray - especially the last one! - every single day.) If you're using that much, I'd include 2% cetrimonium chloride in your conditioner, which is a great silicone remover.

Even the most gentle surfactants are effective at removing silicones and other things that can film form. This is one of the reasons we don't see much build up on our hair from conditioners any more - gentle and mild isn't equal to poor cleansing"

I've followed her blog for a while, and she is uber-knowledgeable so I trust her lol. Of course, take that with a grain of salt, like she says this only works if you don't have a ton of build up! Hopefully that helps someone other than me too.

I started to look into non-ionic (decyl glucoside) vs amphoteric (cocobetain) but it got too technical for me lol...

At any rate, I think the main reason decyl glucoside may not be on that list on the page about silicones is because in most cases it is a lesser/complementary surfactant, waaaay down the ingredient list and therefore is often overlooked. In the CVS baby wash though, it's the 2nd ingredient in the list. Sorbitol is next (which wow, looking it up now I just found that it's a humectant!), then Sodium Cocoyl Glutamate which is another mild surfactant, also a derivative of coconut oil similar to cocobetaine, and is often used to remove minerals from hard water. So I just learned more about my cheapy low-poo than I knew before! Hooray for discovery! Incidentally, it also has citric acid and Dehydroacetic Acid, so that could be why when I tried to use it in conjunction with ACV my hair got fried!

My hair loves moisture!

currently mod-cg , using low-poo and not totally cone-free yet. I'll get there though!
anonymous_125408 is offline   Reply With Quote