Well from my research, american beauty balms (bb creams) are generally glorified tinted moisturizers. The Asian bb creams (which is we're they originated) are a completely different product. Asian bb creams are more like foundations with skin care benefits. They offer heavier coverage like a medium coverage foundation. The problem with them is that because of all the stuff in them, it's hard to get the pigmentation dark enough to really sell here in the US.

The bb creams sold in the US are much thinner consistency and have the coverage of a light tinted moisturizer. A true BB cream is supposed to be an all in one product...concealer, SPF, foundation, and antioxidants. US bb creams clearly miss the mark on this one.

I've only found 2 bb creams even close enough to use on my skin...maybelline's bb cream in dark and smashbox bb cream. I still use the maybelline bb cream...mostly in the summer and weekends when I only need light coverage because it provides almost no coverage.
Originally Posted by Nappy_curly_crown
This is what I've heard as well-US fancy tinted moisturizer, Asian actual all in one product and treatment. I would love to try an Asian BB cream because I love the idea of an all in one product that is good for my skin, but I know I'll never find one that matches.

If you don't match Asian BB cream shades, I'd say pass on the trend and make your own tinted moisturizer . It's super easy, only adds a few minutes to your morning routine and you get more bang for your buck since the drugstore BB creams cost more than their foundations for less product.
Originally Posted by Alice_42
From what I've experienced, this is pretty accurate. For example, I use a Japanese BB Cream, Boscia, which has all kinds of skin care ingredients in it, as well as Arbutin for skin lightening. It has a strange texture when first applied, but, believe me, it doesn't budge. It seems to "become one" with my skin (if that makes any sense). Somehow it has really good coverage, especially over my pores, but it's not "mask-like" in the least.

Similar American made products I've purchased in the past are Miracle Skin Transformer in Medium Tan, and Too Faced Beauty Balm. With MST, I like the color a lot, but it absolutely sits on top of my skin, and it never dries. It rubs off on everything, and if it's not rubbed off, it disappears in about two hours anyways. I tried setting it with powder, but it became a cakey mess. Plus one of the reasons I wanted a "bb" cream was so I wouldn't have to layer makeup on my face.

At some point, I also bought Too Faced "Beauty Balm". I'd never used tinted moisturizer, because I'm pretty oily, but I'm betting that Too Faced Beauty Balm is basically a "tinted moisturizer". It's greasy, somewhat heavy, shiny, and it adds color instead of blending.

The Boscia BB Cream really shouldn't be compared to the two product I've just mentioned, because it functions so differently. Fortunately for me, I can pull off the color of this one.

I've been wanted to try that Skin79, but I don't know where to find a reputable seller in the US. Myrna, do you think the Skin79 would work on medium/olive skin? Does it do the "self-matching" thing?
3b/c, Coarse, Low Porosity, Desert Climate
CG since August 2011/Modified since 2013
Favorites: KCKT, Curl Keeper, BRHG, Camille Rose Curl Maker,
Jane Carter Nourish & Shine Butter,
Curls Unleashed Second Chance Curl Refresher,
Shea Moisture Hold & Shine Moisture Spray