View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 12:56 PM   #10
LadyV69

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2LR View Post
After my expirence last year with Yasmin, BCP is the debbil. But that's besides the point.

Check the side effects of the pill, each package comes with an insert that shoudl list them all. I am willing to bet money that weight gain is on there. Also, generics are different than brand names and often have dyes and fillers that can cause additional weight gain or other side effects.

I am not sure how old you are, but there is a hormonal shift that happens in our 30s and closer to 40s, etc.

Estrogen loves body fat, and body fat loves estrogen. If you have a high percentage of body fat, it can totally mess up your cycle. If you gain weight, it can make it harder to lose it while on or off the pill. It's also entirely possible that your weight gain is water weight.

Re: your diet. Even if a high protein diet doesn't satisfy you, your diet seems high in carbs. I'd write down everything I ate for about a week, maybe 3 to 5 days, and use an app if possible that shows what your nutrient ratios are. You might find that a high fat/protein, low carb diet will get rid of the belly bloat. And when I say fat, I mean GOOD fats. EVOO, nuts (not peanuts), avocados, etc. Lay low on the cereals, they might have vitamins in them but they are highly processed.

Also, don't eat below your basal metabolic rate. Eating less calories CAN result in weightloss, but it's usually muscle loss, which eventually sabotages any weight loss efforts you might have been working so hard at.

Losing weight sucks and not every plan works for every person.
I threw out the insert, but even if it did say weight gain is a side effect, a lot of doctors (particularly male ones) would choose not to believe it since their bodies were never designed to store fat in order to give birth (can you tell that my ob-gyn is a man?)

I thought a lot of the weight gain was due to water retention too and I have increased my water intake by one or two glasses a day, but the weight isn't dropping, so I know it's not due to that.

I am careful not to drop below 1200 calories a day as I know it's not safe to eat less than that. I haven't measured my BMR of late but previously, it was around 1700 calories a day. In researching what BCP can do to your body, I found out that they can actually trick your body into thinking you're pregnant and as such, it can increase your appetite and make you eat more. And when your pregnant, your body stores the extra calories in order to nourish the growing fetus. Since it can have that effect, I'm really leery of eating more. I ate 1800 calories one day last weekend and didn't gain, so that's probably the highest amount of food I can eat and not gain. I really am resisting eating low carb because I just don't feel satisfied unless I have them and I know myself to know that I'll binge on them if tried a low carb diet, so I don't do it.
Co-wash: Suave Naturals, HEHH, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, CJ Daily Fix
Leave-In: KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, CJ Smoothing Lotion
Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque
Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair, CJ Deep Fix

http://confessionsofladyv69.wordpress.com/
LadyV69 is offline   Reply With Quote