Big time lurker here but I've been having some problems with my super dry hair retaining length and I have been tweaking my regimen over the past couple weeks and I've been seeing less breakage (huge disclaimer though, might not work for others, might stop working for me). So I trimmed about an inch to an inch and half and..

1. Upped my protein. My hair is fine and not that protein sensitive. Once a month protein conditioning is not enough for me. So I leave in a protein-rich conditioner after my deep condition weekly and seal it in with heavy moisturizer.

2. Added a weekly cowash (in addition to weekly shampoo and DC) about midweek with a cone free conditioner. Seems to be helping.

3. Stopped layering on products on a daily basis between washes and sufficed with a light spritz of water and a bit of coconut oil. I only add a little bit of cream moisturizer once or twice a week now as opposed to moisturizing nightly.

I use a lot of coconut oil nowadays, slather it on before a wash and use a little bit on day to day basis. So in summary, I drench my hair more often, use more protein and less product. I also don't really protective style (for aesthetics, most protective styles look bad on me) so finding a balance for my hair that also fits my lifestyle is important for me.
Originally Posted by nomad
This sounds almost exactly like my regimen. Except I only use coconut oil to detangle pre-shampoo and use an olive blend for sealing & maintaining during the week. Ill add that I also dont usually apply product in between wash days, nor do I moisturize & manipulate every day. I just spritz my ends (what needs it most) work the excess up & into the hair and seal. IF i use product its lightly all over dry hair before I section and spritz and ill use a heavy cream or pudding type product on the very ends.

I seal the length of my hair to hold in moisture, but I always go in separately and seal my ends as well. That & weekly protein (when I DC) has made the hugest difference in length & moisture retention for me. I dont PS either, just braidouts mainly.. a loose messy bun is what I wear most.