I've been cutting my own hair for nearly 15 years. I cut my daughter's hair as well.

At first I started cutting my hair because I figured I could create the same mess for free that every stylist made of my hair for loads of money. One stylist "ruined" my wedding "look"...in February 1998. I looked like Art Garfunkel's long-lost twin, only about 12 years old, and female. (I was 32). In addition to the overly short, completely unmanageable hair, this same stylist decided to "brighten" my color with a "highlighter". My hair was purple. I'd been going to the stylist for years, but after this last straw, I figured she hated my guts, and I started cutting my own hair, and I color my own hair to cover grays.

A few years after I got married I accidentally ran into my old hair stylist in Target or some place like that. Her naturally red hair had a sort of creepy "violet" tinge to it, and she was wearing it very short. I felt a little better, because that was proof she wasn't really trying to ruin my wedding.

Do invest in at least one "good" pair of scissors. In frustration I have resorted to sewing scissors and my husband's nose hair grooming scissors, and I don't recommend either. Sally's has some decent trimming shears that are cheap. Since you're only cutting your own hair, you won't have to worry about them wearing out quickly.
3b/c, Coarse, Low Porosity, Desert Climate
CG since August 2011/Occasionally Modified since 2013
Favorites: Wen Cleansing Conditioner/Coconut Lime Verbena and Spring Orange Blossom, Pure Argan Oil, Pure Coconut Oil,
KCKT, KC Come Clean, Desert Essence Soft Curls Coconut Hair Cream, Eco Natural Curling Cocktail, Desert Essence Hair Defrizzer and Heat Protector