Look in the upper left hand corner of this menu above us, and pick "HAIR TYPES" and then go do some reading there, hon Hair type has a lot to do with what is a more successful product to use in your hair...

For an example, my hair is fine but also verging on coarse, and it hates protein ;p so I can't use any products with proteins in them, or it turns my hair into gummy straw! Once you determine what your hair type is, it is then easier to decide what products work well with it.

Also, if you are using CG method (co-washing with conditioner) you will want to avoid products that have too many silicones etc. In the Newbie column, at the very top, there are stickies with explanations for - well, for the acronyms people use here, as well as techniques (methods) to style the hair, and also there are links to "what's in your product" - i.e., what a protein or a silicone looks like on the ingredient list...also, what certain ingredients are and what they do.

You can go to this site: Welcome and look at the ingredient option on her menu at the left. She says what certain ingredients are. Also, I understand you can go to livecurlylivefree and get a hair assessment done, to see what type you are.

What you have to know right away is that everyone's hair is so unique...what works for one person may disagree completely with your hair! It takes a lot of experimentation/research to find what works. What you will find is that it does matter what type of water you have (hard or soft) what type your hair is, and what techniques you use to take care of it. And everyone here uses different techniques and products, depending on their hair and their preferences...

That's why it is hard for any one here to say, "I use this, you will love it!" ;p don't give up though - embrace it as an adventure, and keep trying good luck!

ETA Here is the livecurly website: http://livecurlylivefree.com/home.htm
Finer, mixed with coarser strands, low-porosity, wavy curly whirly hair...3A, 2C hair. Medium thickness, medium elasticity.
S-shaped hair with corkscrew ends. My hair is even more confused than me ;p
My hair officially hates protein Once a month is enough!
Currently a fan of TiGi products, (rock on, TiGi Curlesque styling creme!) but that will soon change - I am a self-avowed product junkie! Yay!
BIG fan of supersoaker method - thanks Rudeechick!

Last edited by Knotty_Maddy; 11-07-2012 at 01:32 AM.