A white friend guy told me the other day I'm more white than he is. I asked him why he said that and he said because I speak proper English. He said none of the other black people he knows speak proper English and neither does he. I'm not offended but surprised because I don't get those comments as much from white people. I have had plenty of black people tell me I "talk white". Even my Mexican immigrant friends say I sound like a white girl. I don't know why so many people equate speaking proper English with whiteness. To be honest, because I'm a journalist I have to watchful of my grammar, but even when I'm not working I generally speak proper English because that is what comes naturally to me and not because I'm trying to be better than anyone. I've been speaking this way my whole life probably because of growing up in a place where most people spoke proper English. Why do people act like it's so odd I'm black, and I use proper subject verb agreement. I don't go around correcting people's grammar although I have no problem with them correcting mine in English or Spanish. I've actually had people get mad at me about speaking proper English.