Protein saved my hair when I started CG! Like you ladies, I assumed that since I had been killing my curls by using harsh sulfates every day plus blow drying and straightening, I need oodles of moisture to start trying to repair the damage I had done to my hair. However less than a week into CG I lost all definition to my curls and my hair was so tangled I couldn't even run a brush through it without snagging and pain. I picked up a few kinds of protein conditioners and immediately after the first protein treatment my hair felt significantly better. By the end of the following week my hair was back to normal again. I've since discovered that my hair LOVES protein. I use a protein conditioner once a week, a protein treatment once a week and a protein based leave in without any problems. If you're losing your waves and aren't using cones it might be worth a shot! It could also be that your hair doesn't like co-washing only. I low-poo once a week in the summer and twice a week after I switch to my heavier cold-weather styling products.
Southern WI curly ~ mostly 2b/c with 2a/b underlayer and a few 3a curls on top
Low porosity, fine hair but LOTS of it!
Loves protein. Dislikes butters and heavy oils.
Working toward natural products and streamlining!!
Current Loves: JCCC, Desert Essence Coconut Conditioner, AG Recoil, CK Coil Jam